What's needed to obtain hunting accuracy in reloading??

There is a lot of good Info here and I haven't read every post BUT,..
1) I would be very, VERY, careful, watching, the YouTube "Pro's" about, reloading as, some of them are idiots ! Remember, they are, selling,.."CLICK'S" !
Some have worn out, their barrels, before ever finding the "right", Bullet- Powder, combo for their Barrel.
2) Personally, I would buy, Forster BR FL Dies as, there could be, lots of headaches with, poor Bullet "run-out", as you may have, concentricity issues.
3) like Capt RB says,.. buy "GOOD" Brass and gently "square up" the bottom of, case on 400-600 grit wet/dry paper on a FLAT surface 2-4 passes, to sq the back of, each case done ONCE, to New Brass, before, you start the reloading process as this, removes the "Dings" from shipping and manufacturing.
4) If you see 2-3 Guys liking, a process or, a piece of Equip.,.. IT is, probably, good !
5) The Accurate shooter.com site, has some of the finest Minds for LR rifle, Target shooting and Reloading, available. You will learn a lot, there ! Good luck !

Last edited:
You can reload for speed , just don't speed through your reloading .
If you can find a mentor in your area to help you get started , all the better .
I know for me , reading here as well as a couple other sites (AccurateShooter.com)has been really helpful .
Above all enjoy the process .

#1 choice for best advancements in accurate shooting....Practice shooting.
To the point if you(not you personally) took a lesson to clean up your fundamentals your alot further down the road. Most people can not shoot to the potential of box ammo with a factroy produced rifle.

To the point if you(not you personally) took a lesson to clean up your fundamentals your alot further down the road. Most people can not shoot to the potential of box ammo with a factroy produced rifle.
I would argue that point, meaning what most people are capable of.
1" ammo and guns are adequate for some very good shooting at some very long distances. Obviously, better would be better. But certainly we don't need to be starting there, and beyond that we might find we need never go there to satisfy own individual results. "Practice" with what you have by shooting from the position you are most capable of shooting from. For the vast majority of us, that would be a bench.

There's a ton of useful information on this site and over on Accurate Shooter as well. I've learned a ton of about precision reloading online, but you have to sort through a lot of bad info as well. I'm a big YouTube watcher, and there's a couple channels I really like for precision shooting. I like the channels Panhandle Precision and 6.5 Guys. Both of them use great equipment, techniques, and explain a lot on their videos regarding reloading and load development.

I use a lot of techniques developed on my own, and a lot that I have learned from other long range shooters to come up with my personalized form of reloading and load development. There's a dozen ways to go about it, you just have to find what works for you.

I wouldn't go crazy at first with certain steps when reloading such as neck turning, primer pocket uniforming, flash hole deburring, weight sorting, etc. Just start out with the basics. Properly setup your dies and full length size, trim your brass, seat your primers and make sure they're flush or below the case head, zero/calibrate your scale every time you use it, weigh your charges to within .1 grain using a good beam scale, digital scale, or RCBS Chargemaster. Find your lands with a Sinclair OAL tool and seat your bullets to suit your chamber and/or magazine length. Use good dies, they don't have to be bushing dies. Start with some standard Hornady, RCBS, Redding, Forster, etc.

I would also highly recommend good components. You can have the best equipment in the world but if you use cheap or inconsistent components you won't get the results you want. For bullets I'd start with Hornady ELDs, Berger Hybrids or Elite Hunters, or Sierra MatchKings. I like Hodgdon Extreme powders, IMR Enduron powders, and new Reloder powders like RL16, RL23, and RL26. Peterson, Lapua, ADG, and Alpha brass is top tier. Hornady brass is decent but doesn't last as long as the others. I've had good luck with Bertram brass in my .308 Norma, but I've heard a lot of complaints about it as well as good. For primers I like Federal, whether they're the standard or Gold Medal Match, they work. I use to use all Winchester primers but found Federals to give me more consistent velocities and groups. CCI primers are also good, especially their BR-2s and BR-4s.

Don't over complicate things. Find the bullet you want to shoot, get some brass, pick a good, popular powder for your cartridge. Start a few grains below book max or what others are shooting, and work up in 0.3-0.5gr increments. Find a charge that delivers consistent velocities at a decent speed. If you're not getting the groups you want, adjust seating depth in or out in .005 increments until you find what shoots best. Don't start neck turning, weight sorting, primer pocket uniforming, and all of that until you have a very good understanding of everything and your skills as a shooter and reloader are exceptional and you feel you need to try and improve your ammo and techniques.

Agree with, Jud96's post above, except BUY "good" Dies, that produce, good, concentric, Ammo ! BUY ONCE, Cry once! I have, drawers full of, "KRAPPY", Dies !

FFBF7E0E-E4BB-4A6E-A34F-B8599F531FDF.jpeg If your goal is long range shooting/hunting then your reloading goal should be 1/2 MOA. Beyond that the return on your investment in time, energy, resources, and outcomes is negligible. Beyond 1/2 MOA, and more important beyond 500 yards, is muzzle velocity extreme spread (and some would say standard deviation of muzzle velocity...but if your ES is low your SD will also be low). Your goal for that should be an ES of less than 30 and an SD of less than 15. I don't mind reloading but I also don't like to spend hours and hours doing it. I like to shoot for hours and hours, and in my life the time for each of those comes from the same pot. With that said, the following list of items has let me reload extremely consistent, high quality ammunition in the fastest time while not going overboard...cause things can get expensive.

To start, before you do anything, make sure your rifle is set up correctly. Make sure it is bedded and the barrel free floated, or use a chassis...sometimes bedding the chassis helps too. I advocate for custom barrels because they are vastly more consistent and can dependably shoot 1/2 moa or less over long strings of fire, but that's not an absolute necessity. I also advocate for a good trigger. I use a TriggerTech set at 1.5lbs (some like lighter, some like heavier but it needs to be consistent). There are multiple options out there. That alone though can shrink your groups a 1/3-1/2 MOA. Finally, you need high quality, repeatable optics. Rifle specifics and optics though a entire other discussions and this is about getting set up for reloading.

Ok, here we go.

1) Brass. Buy good brass. Lapua and Alpha Munitions make extremely high quality brass that lasts a long time. If they don't make brass for the cartridge you're shooting though then just reload the factory stuff. Hornady, Remington, and Winchester brass are fine. Personally I can't shoot good enough to know if weight sorting makes a difference. I do know that it takes an absurd amount of time so a I don't do it. For perspective, the picture of the group attached to this post is from my 7mm Rem Mag with Hornady brass that i shot during load development 2 days ago. I started out with Norma, but the primer pockets loosened after 2-3 firings...so no thanks. I'll just buy once fired Hornady brass for like 30cents a piece. It shoots lights out.

2) Bullets. 1-Pick and shoot bullets that will stabilize with the twist rate of your barrel. Berger has an online twist rate calculator that will allow you to figure this out really easily. If the bullet won't stabilize then don't waste your time. You'll be frustrated by the fact that your groups aren't tight, or you get "fliers" when you've done everything else right. If the bullet isn't completely stable it won't fly consistently and consistency is obviously key. 2-Buy good bullets. Meaning consistent bullets. Berger, Hornady, Sierra, all make a consistent bullet. Others do too, but don't by 2nds and expect them to be consistent at long range.

3) Powder. I use Hodgdon Extreme powders because they are essentially temperature insensitive and are very consistent. The loads developed are stable in pretty much all environments and that matters a lot.

4) Primers. I use Federal 215s and 210Ms. Winchester large rifles have also been very consistent, and a lot of people use CCIs.

5) Dies. Lee, RCBS, and Redding all work fine. Redding S type dies are nice because you can switch out the bushing and set your neck tension to whatever you want, and then using their micrometer seating die setting seating depth is very straightforward. That being said, they are 5x as expensive as Lee dies, and Lee dies work fine.

6) Calipers. You need a set of calipers.

7) Comparator gauge. Not a must, but can be helpful.

8) Scale. You can use a beam scale but they are slow and honestly relatively inaccurate if your are not looking at them the same way every time, from the same angle, every time you weigh a powder charge. An RCBS chargemaster is more consistently precise and accurate, and ultimately faster. Especially if you can afford to buy 2. Night and day difference.

9) Case trimmers. I use the Giraud and Black Window Trim-it II that you can chuck up in a drill. Both trim, chamfer, and deburr perfectly and do it as fast as you can shove cases in them. Yes they are $100, but the first time you sit down to trim, chamfer, and deburr 200 cases you'll realize it's easily worth it.

10) Press. Single stage presses probably produce slightly more concentric ammunition, but progressive presses are much faster (they get rid of a lot of changing things out and hand movements). Hornady and Dillon work fine. Before I bought my progressive, I loaded probably a thousand rounds on my single stage. They work just fine, they are just slower.

11) Chronograph. I use a Magnetospeed because it's accurate, relatively affordable, small/portable, and super easy to set up and use. The data provided by it is extremely valuable and insightful, can expedite your load development process immensely, and can help you develop DOPE much faster.

12) Load development process. There's tons of ways to go about it. The key is using something that is methodical, easy to keep track of, works for you, and most importantly reliably creates loads for you which hammer. 1 MOA is easy. Usually you end up with something that shoots 1/3-1/2 MOA at 100.

Personally, I use the Satterly load development process (YouTube it...I also just posted how I do it in the post "ladder test" under The Basics Starting Out section on here), which is essentially a ladder shot over a chronograph because it is efficient and has worked well for me (hasn't for everybody, but I've been happy with the results). In order for it to be reliable your reloading has to be on point.

Again, the picture in this post is the very 1st group I shot with my 7mm Rem Mag after using the components and process outlined above (in this case unsorted Hornady brass, 69gr Retumbo, Federal 215 magnum primers, 168gr Berger VLDs going 3024 fps. ES of ~10) which I shot at 500 yards. My hand is only in there for size reference. I was shooting at the small square. Wind was 3-5 mph L to R.

This is also another excellent way to do it, but you need access to at least a 300 yard range.

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/tuning-for-long-range.192998/

Also, as others have said: shoot a lot, ingrain the fundamentals of marksmanship, and learn to read the wind (hardest to do but has the greatest effect of anything down range if all else is squared away).

Full length sizing is fine
Concentricity gauge not nessary
Case trimming yes
Lee makes a very fast drill mounted case trimmer that's very economical $16

Custom OAL gauge no

https://www.brownells.com/reloading...style-bullet-comparators-prod83792.aspx?dym=y

I have one of these Sinclair bullet comparators. I use one of the larger caliber than I'm shooting let it slip over the neck to the shoulder of the case and use it to measure my shoulder bump. The Hornady tool is nicer but this works just fine. You also have your gun chamber if rounds are to tight your die needs lowered a small amount measuring shoulder bump is nice so you don't overwork your brass and get incenpint head separation.

Best advice is use powder/bullet weight combinations listed as accuracy loads in the Seirra or Nosler reloading manuals this will save you lot of "boy that doesn't shoot all that well" testing.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts