Hammer bullet hunting results?

I have to post this one just because the bull is so tremendous. This bull was taken in NM on a guided hunt. The shot was 100y one shot. Not long range, but I would certainly not back up to shoot farther if I were that close to a bull like this. Customer sent us his rifle last spring for custom ammunition. Proof Research 300wsm. We loaded this rifle with the 181g Hammer Hunter, 69g H4831sc, WLRM primer, Norma brass, ave vel of 3005fps with 10.3 sd. This rifle shot 4" three shot group at 1000y.

So far this is the only pic that he has sent. It is his guide holding the rack.

Matt NM 385 bull.jpg
He told me about the hunt when did his load work. Said that he would not shoot less than a 370" bull. He got it! Bull scores 385"

Steve

Here is another impressive hunt.

Kirby Allen asked us to come up with a bullet for 257 cal 7" twist. The result was a 128g Hammer Hunter. He took his 257 Allen Magnum up to Canada to do some whitetail hunting. He got two, one at 220y and the other at 325y. Both deer had caliber sized entry wounds with 3/8" to 1/2'' exit holes. Quote from Kirby, "Everything in between chewed up pretty seriously." "Very happy with terminal performance."

Kirby wt 1 2016.jpg

Kirby wt 2 2016.jpg

Steve

Another beautiful bull elk.

This was taken by a customer of ours that we met at the range. He was sighting in his 325wsm in preparation for this NM elk hunt coming up in a couple of weeks. After talking with him for a bit he decided to leave his rifle with us to load up and sight in his rifle for the hunt. It was a tight deadline but knowing the importance of his hunt there was no way that we were not going to have him ready. We loaded his Kimber 325wsm with 221g Hammer Hunters. Don't have the load data in front of me on this one but if memory serves they were pushing 2900fps. This rifle shot very well once you got past the recoil. A bit stiff on a sporter weight rifle, but shot .5 moa very reliably. His goal was to be able to shoot to 500y consistently. We zeroed him at 200y and it matched fairly well with his bdc reticle out to 500y. Each sub tension in the reticle hit just a few inches high at the next hundred yards. Very nice for hunting to 500y.

He shot this bull just under 200y, if I remember correctly. Bull was facing him with a frontal shot. He had hunted for 4 days without seeing an elk. He was hoping for a bigger one but was not going to pass this guy up given the difficulty of the hunt. He did not recover the bullet as the guides did all the work for him and would not give him the chance to search for it. He did get a pic of the heart lung terminal performance. He is a veterinarian and very impressed with the performance. Bull did not travel at all. The bull dropped on the shot and he put a second in him to put his neck to put him out. Smart hunter.

Lyle NM bull.jpg

Lyle NM bull terminal pic.jpg

Steve

Was able to take this guy with 27 cal...156 grain hammer bullet. Couldn't have asked for better results

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1479529962704.jpg
    FB_IMG_1479529962704.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 184
  • FB_IMG_1479530002677.jpg
    FB_IMG_1479530002677.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 205
I don't know his score. We flew him out of camp the next day and he was dropped off at the taxidermist by a friend. So I've not had a chance to actually measure him.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.