Hamburger

Coyote Shadow Tracker

LRH Sponsor
Why do they call a Pattie of meat made out of BEEF a "Hamburger"???? in restaurants and stores grinding meet? You can buy several pounds of HAMBERGER Meat wit 05% fat, 10% fat 20% fat. also cuts of meat. But it is all BEEF.
If you grind up a pork hind butt you get a Barbecue sandwich.
If you grind up a seasoned smoked ham hoc it is a Ham Sandwich.
Just a thought
Anyone know how the origin of those sayings about a "Hamburger"
We cook a lot of wild hogs and it is always barbecue when it comes out of the smoker,
I guess there is a way to salt/season a ham hoc and smoke then it turns into "PINK HAM" - That never ends up into a :HAMBURGER"
Anyone want to chime in? Maybe we can make different style meat out of our hog kills.
Thanks much for recipes!
Len & Jill

It was invented in Hamburg Germany. That's right. Good ol American hamburger is German. Lol. As far as hogs go. I grind with straight pork fat and High Mountain Prarie sage for breakfast sausage. They make killer Chilli Verida too. Wife has figured out how to make pretty good carnitas as well. Anything left over after all that goes into cross hair summer sausage.

Why do they call a Pattie of meat made out of BEEF a "Hamburger"???? in restaurants and stores grinding meet? You can buy several pounds of HAMBERGER Meat wit 05% fat, 10% fat 20% fat. also cuts of meat. But it is all BEEF.
If you grind up a pork hind butt you get a Barbecue sandwich.
If you grind up a seasoned smoked ham hoc it is a Ham Sandwich.
Just a thought
Anyone know how the origin of those sayings about a "Hamburger"
We cook a lot of wild hogs and it is always barbecue when it comes out of the smoker,
I guess there is a way to salt/season a ham hoc and smoke then it turns into "PINK HAM" - That never ends up into a :HAMBURGER"
Anyone want to chime in? Maybe we can make different style meat out of our hog kills.
Thanks much for recipes!
Len & Jill
Hamburger Origins

I am not ham making expert but I have done a wild boar smoked ham or 2. You have to brine it in a saltwater solution for 5 days or more to get the pink ham affect. You will need some pink curing salt.

If you grind your hogs and want sausage ideas, go out to sausagemaker.com and look at their seasoning blends. Using wild hog, I have made breakfast, italian, chorizo, and andoulli sausage. All turned out great.

I think my greatest creation that I have ever done with wild hog was something I call smoked cajun wild hog porchetta. I was stuffing some casings with wild hog andoulli and had some left over in the stuffer so I took it and wrapped it around a wild boar loin and then wrapped the whole thing in a wild boar pork belly. I dusted the outside with blackening spice and then smoked it for 10 hours. It was amazing.