H4831 question

According to to Hodgdon's site they are interchangeable. I have used both and have found no difference other than maybe lot differences. The same lot differences as when I change lots of H1000. The H4831ssc does meter better though.

Both the same. Only difference is case fill ratio, due to granule size. If lower fill, I use regular. On cases near 100%, I use SSC.

I'm by no means an expert. So take this for what it's worth. I also wondered the same thing. I have a custom 300wsm that had a load developed for it. H4831sc, 65 grains and 215 berger. I was given the data to hopefully reproduce this load. The rifle does hold .5 moa fairly consistent with my hand loads. So one day while I was loading some rounds for this rifle while I was set up I thought it would be very easy to load up some with the H4831. I did and they were loaded exactly the same as the loads with the H4831sc. The next day I went out to shoot. Fired 2 of the sc loads did exactly what I expected. So put in 1 of the others and hit a couple inches low and a couple inches right. Also had stiff bolt lift. So waited a little and tried another same thing except it was now about a 2 inch group. Wait for a little and shot another of the sc load's and right back to where it should be. Now I'm not sure why, but that was my experience with the 2 different powders.

I'm by no means an expert. So take this for what it's worth. I also wondered the same thing. I have a custom 300wsm that had a load developed for it. H4831sc, 65 grains and 215 berger. I was given the data to hopefully reproduce this load. The rifle does hold .5 moa fairly consistent with my hand loads. So one day while I was loading some rounds for this rifle while I was set up I thought it would be very easy to load up some with the H4831. I did and they were loaded exactly the same as the loads with the H4831sc. The next day I went out to shoot. Fired 2 of the sc loads did exactly what I expected. So put in 1 of the others and hit a couple inches low and a couple inches right. Also had stiff bolt lift. So waited a little and tried another same thing except it was now about a 2 inch group. Wait for a little and shot another of the sc load's and right back to where it should be. Now I'm not sure why, but that was my experience with the 2 different powders.
Different lots of powder will often shoot to different POI, with different pressure.

Different lots of powder will often shoot to different POI, with different pressure.
Had the same experience as dmj on a 7 mag. just no sticky bolt but definately didn't shoot the same wih H4831 and H4831SSC everything thing be equal other than the SSC versus the regular H4831. I'm guessing the H4831 and H4831SCC dont have the same lot#

What elevation are the loads developed at?, is a question that comes to mind,although it may have be a topic that has already been delt with.

TG. The load was developed at around 4000 ft. Temp. was running around 50 degrees. The day I was shooting was around 70 degrees and elevation was about 4600 ft.
I never gave any thought to the fact that the powders were not from the same lot. And I doubt if they were even close. Was not checking speed that day. Wish I was.

With a 25/06 and H4831 there was about 150 FPS difference when compared to H4831sc. I was really surprised.
All of the bottles we have are "sc" = short cut. Not "ssc"= super short cut.
I have never witnessed 4831ssc only sc. don't really know if there is a diff.
I do know when i went from IMR4831 to H4831sc it was night and day, started with bottom load(nervous=grew up shooting IMR4064 and IMR4895 for everything). I shot most of my life without a chrono(yes it's possible). The H4831sc loaded and froze overnight in my deep freeze, which was kept in a cooler with a freeze pack until moments before fired; never changed its group which was developed during july/august(trying to dupe hunting temps).
I a'm no pro just an evolving "redneck".

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.