H4831

tcob68

This may be a dumb question but I would rather be safe than sorry. I have H-4831 long cut but everything I'm seeing in reloading manuals and online lists the short cut version, will the load data interchange between the two.

Yes it does mostly interchange, just start low and work up as per usual.

Direct copy from Hodgdon's site:
H4831® & H4831SC®

4831sc1b.jpg
It is probably safe to say more big game has been taken with H4831 than any other powder. Bruce Hodgdon was the first supplier to introduce this popular burning rate in 1950. Since that time it has become a favorite for cartridges like the 270 Winchester, 25-06 Remington, 280 Remington and 300 Winchester Magnum. As an Extreme Extruded propellant it shares the fine quality of insensitivity to hot/cold temperatures, as well as superb uniformity from lot to lot.
H4831SC - Ballistically, this Extreme Extruded powder is the exact copy of H4831. Physically, it has a shorter grain size, therefore, the designation SC or short cut. The shorter, more compact kernels allow the powder to flow through the powder measures more smoothly, helping to alleviate the constant cutting of granules. With the smoother flow characteristics comes more uniform charge weights, while the individual grains orient more compactly, creating better loading density. Available in 1 lb. & 8 lb. containers.

Have a good one,
Gary

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.