H&R ultra slug "long-range"

OneShot0351

picked up this H&R ultra slug 12ga for $250 last week, hoping to glass it up and get it to bang 8" steel at 300yds consistently, or further( i know its quite the ambition, but very possible),watched at a guy at the range a few weeks back bang 1.5" groups at 100yd like it was cool. shes not pleasant to shoot, but will come in handy next season on some slug only land i have access to.

tried to get close to the McMillan Forest Camo look, watcha think?
IMG_0105.jpg

I bought the 10 ga NEF Turkey version and sent it to them and had the 12 ga heavy rifled barrel installed on it. Bullets touched at 100 yds. They were the Federal premiums 3" 1oz copper sabots. I would use it today if I had to hunt in a place where shotgun was the rule or my Smokeless ML
The gun does kick with that load

Ive got some hornady SST's for it, haven't read anybody having good luck with them in this gun. Word is lightfields and Rem accutips are the best. We'll see, i hope it likes the SST, got ballistics for thoseout to 350:D if they dont shoot i wanna try a slug that has a listed BC for it, so i can get a close to accurate drop chart. Its gonna be fun and painful at the same time, i can shoot out to 350 off the front porch, so this is gonna be great to gather Long Range slug data from on days i cant go stretch out the big guns.

I bet those sabots I shot don't have but about .1 BC if that. On the other hand I shoot 45 cal 300 SST out of the SML and with the 300 match Hunters w/ over .3 BC for real long range.
Did you know you can send that gun to SMI and have a smokeless 45 caliber ML on it? Some are getting 4-500 yds with them using the MH. I have a NEF I sent to SMI and had a 45 installed on it for my carry ML, and it shoots less than 1" MOA at 2500fps

I didn't know that, ill have to look into when I need a ML one day, down in bama early ML season is only for 3 days prior to rifle season, so it's not a must have item here, I shot her yesterday, 300gr hornady sst's just making a big fat hole at 100yds :) zeroed it at 150, next shot was 1mil holdover at 200yds, smacked a 8" steel plate. Grinning big then, that's using a cheapo 2-7x center point scope from Walmart I just had laying around. Probably want change it now that I see it can handle the recoil, and has a good 4" of eye relief. Can't wait to get more slugs after the holidays and stretch it out some more. A key to accuracy I believe w/ these is running a dry patch or brush down the barrel after each shot to remove the 1/2 lb of powder left in the barrel after each shot, these hirnady's leave an awful gunk in the pipe. And yes, I have a nice round cut right over the eyebrow and a tiny spot on the bridge of the nose. If you done "choke" up on her pretty good, she'll bite.

I have the 20 ga and it is a tack driver for slug gun. About 1.5 in at 100 yds using the Remington Copper Solids. Definitely starts to open up after about 5 shots, looks like a forest growing in the tube.

Just sucks a box of 5 costs almost what a box of Core-lokts cost.

Shane

PS..Dig the forest camo look.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.