first long range hunting build

42769vette

im fairly new here so i though i would post pics of my first long range build. all work done by aj brown

260 rem
stiller action
sheilin #5 select match 1-8 twist 26 inch
badger dm
manners stock
uso rings
rifle basix trigger
triad large stock pack

as far as optics im still on the fence. iso far ive had a falcon menace, nf br, swarovski scope. i bought the falcon to see if i like ffp before dropping a couple grand on one. if i like ffp ill get a uso if not ill get another nf.

i dont have any super tight groups to show yet. i have only shot it about 50 times so far. give it a week or so and i hope to have good group pics

003-2.jpg

001-2.jpg

Nice rifle. Which Manners stock is it ?

mcs-t stock. i should be shooting it this weekend and ill give a update. i could not get 130vlds close enough to the lands to work (i think thats why they didn't work) i just got some 140 amax bullets to try. i liked 142 smk but i didn't want to hunt with them

i tried 140 amax bullets yesterday. id say it likes them pretty well. i usually dont do 3 shot groups but this is early load development so im just looking for my max and getting a idea of velocity

best group is .3 outside to outside @ 110 yds

003-2-1.jpg

002-2-1.jpg

001-2.jpg

just a update. i never do 3 shot groups, but this was the first stage of load develpment and i was mainly looking for my max and getting a idea of velocity. id say this is close to the sweet spot. the group measures .3 outside to outside @110yds

003-2-1.jpg

i chose the 260 for a few reasons. one being that i shoot a diffrent 260 in f-class so it savedme quite a bit in dies, brass, bullets that i had bought in bulk.

second i love the 260. it has great ballistics but more importantly to me it has alot of barrel life compared to some other 6.5s (6.5x284) to me being fairly new to long range shooting i think its more important to pratice me than have a screaming fast bullet. with less than 2000ish rds barrel life (6.5x284) i couldnot afford to praticemuch dueto saving my barrel life.

the down side of the 260 is brass. you either necksize 308,7-08,243 to get lapua brass. but ive found nosler brass is pretty good stuff

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.