H- Hornady Superperformance powder, any one try yet?

Larry,

Just did a search on google for 260 Superformance and there were a few hits that had some load data. I'll let you know how my new load works out if I brave the weather today.

Danny

Thanks for your postings. I also shoot that Bad Boy cartridge . My rifle has a 30" bbl 51.5grs of H4831 SC push a 87gr V-Max 3625 and that's good enough. Its got an 8" twist meant for the 105+ grain Missiles. But gun smith didn't throat the chamber for that bullet. I was experimenting with Re#33 and 105s But I was seating bullet to deep and getting rude pressure signs . Any how when this BBL is done I think I'll be done with that dragster cartridge .

My build is a Model 700 SPS 26" bbl. I was pushing the Sierra 85gr BTHP at 3550 with 52gr of IMR 4350. 3625 to 3650 with 52.5 IMR 4350 but starting to show ejector marks. Dropped to the 75 V-Max with better BC and like what I've seen so far. I wil drop a new barrel in it when the stock barrel is fried. At least a 28". Probably 1/10 or 1/12 twist. I like the IMR 4350 and the Superformance so far. Accuracy going to the IMR 4350. Although as I see the speed coming up with the Superformance the accuracy is improving too.

Larry,

Thanks for the reply. I'm surprised nobody has stopped in and responded at all on my posts. While I am not familiar with the 260, I do have an answer for those who ask why. Because we can! It's the fun of being able to experiment within reason a safe environment.

I have load from disk that I may be able to get some info from but what I've learned from the 6-284 is that grain for grain Superformance is under velocity and under pressure. Shooting 54 grains of IMR 4350 gets substantially higher velocity compared to the Superformance with the same load. My findings verify the original posters findings with that.

Will that shoot that much different out of your 260? Doubtful but I'm not a professional at this stuff. I was safe within those limits starting out and actually will be loading up 58, 59, and 60 grain this morning with the 75grain V-Max in my 6-284. I'm trying to find that perfect load and then put the 6-284 up to save the barrel. I bought a 223 to burn powder in experimenting.

Keep in touch and let me know how things work out.

Danny
Hello Danny. I'm not surprised at all at no one responding. This is close to the reception i received. Only one person responded to me in a PM. I've not heard from him in a few weeks now. I was asking about the 129 SST. and he said he was using it and getting remarkable velocity from a 140 gr. out of a 26" BBL. I see no reason why the .260 could not achieve as good as the Creedmore. Though Hornady claims it only works in a few cartridges. I have also heard that there are more than one blend of this powder. I only wonder why Hogdon would release this powder if it is cartridge specific. Something does not seem to add up. Well i may have to go it alone one day but you can be assured of one thing,i am going to try it out sooner or later. Thanks for the come back. .....SEMPER FI! .....LARRY

SuperFormance powder

Well this thread has some data in it. What bullet and weight are you wanting to shoot? Also what Barrell length also? I think my load for disk program may suggest some Superformance data if I had some info.

Danny

SuperFormance powder

Well this thread has some data in it. What bullet and weight are you wanting to shoot? Also what Barrell length also? I think my load for disk program may suggest some Superformance data if I had some info.

Danny
OK Danny here it is: Savage F-Class 30" Bartlein. Want to shoot 129 SST. 123 A-Max. 142 SMK. Thanks in advance. .....SEMPER FI! .....LARRY

Today's findings. Other than it was flipping cold. Here ya go.

OAL 2.828
Weather 27*F 15-25mph
75gr Hornady V-Max

New test. 3 Shots for each load.
IMR 4350
55gr. Row 1 3835 3817 3805 No pressure signs
56gr. Row 2 3805 3858 3950 Weird jumps in velocity. Best pattern. Very slight ejector mark.
Superformance
59gr. Row 3 3765, Error, Error Maybe an extremely faint ejector mark.
60gr. Row 4 3942, Error, Error Surprisingly a slight faint ejector mark. I mean faint on both.

As windy as it was it's hard to tell how accurate these loads are. A little more tinkering to do but hopefully done soon.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.