Gunwerks G7 BR2 Rangefinder Review

You cant input your exact ballistics into the Leica, you get to choose from the 2 or 3 that are close to your set-up. Go to youtube and the Leica rep will tell you how it works.

For the MIL guys.

The G7 is setup to run MOA or BDC. If you print out a drop chart in mils for your rifles data you can use the G7 for mils. Input your muzzle velocity and bc into the unit. Then use the BDC feature. Laze the target and the G7 will dope the conditions and give you a "BDC Shoot to" yardage. Look at your drop chart and dial in mils to your "Shoot to" distance.

Example: I have my drop chart in MIL's printed out and stuck to my stock. I am in 6,000ft elevation hunting. I see a buck, using the BDC setting on the G7 i laze the buck and it says 1,000yds, then a second later it gives me the compensated distance for MY specific ballistics (a huge feature over any other rangefinder) of 875yds. I look at my MIL drop chart and dial for 875yds.

Fast and easy. And i still get to leave the Kestrel and PDA at home. Too many guys get hung up over forms of measurement which is all MIL, MOA, or BDC is, an arbitrary numerical value assigned to an angle of measurement.

The only downside i see for the MIL guys is having to keep a drop chart with you, but honestly most of us do that anyway (tape it to the side of your stock). And it would still be faster than inputing your information manually into a PDA.

I am an MOA shooter by preference but if i owned a MIL setup i would not hesitate to rock the G7!

For the MIL guys.

The G7 is setup to run MOA or BDC. If you print out a drop chart in mils for your rifles data you can use the G7 for mils. Input your muzzle velocity and bc into the unit. Then use the BDC feature. Laze the target and the G7 will dope the conditions and give you a "BDC Shoot to" yardage. Look at your drop chart and dial in mils to your "Shoot to" distance.

Example: I have my drop chart in MIL's printed out and stuck to my stock. I am in 6,000ft elevation hunting. I see a buck, using the BDC setting on the G7 i laze the buck and it says 1,000yds, then a second later it gives me the compensated distance for MY specific ballistics (a huge feature over any other rangefinder) of 875yds. I look at my MIL drop chart and dial for 875yds.

Fast and easy. And i still get to leave the Kestrel and PDA at home. Too many guys get hung up over forms of measurement which is all MIL, MOA, or BDC is, an arbitrary numerical value assigned to an angle of measurement.

The only downside i see for the MIL guys is having to keep a drop chart with you, but honestly most of us do that anyway (tape it to the side of your stock). And it would still be faster than inputing your information manually into a PDA.

I am an MOA shooter by preference but if i owned a MIL setup i would not hesitate to rock the G7!

Had a couple guys mention this and I don't disagree, it is just that if I am going to buy a $1600 rangefinder I would like it to work as designed and be as quick as possible. That is part of the benefit of this system, that it gives a very fast solution. Having to add a chart to the mix is moving in the wrong direction IMO.

Like, you said, it is an option though.

Scot E.

Well at $1400 with the group buy it is definetly worth it. Especially when there is nothing out there right now that comes close to it.

Getting rid of the PDA and Kestral is still a step in the right direction IMO. It would still be faster than manually entering the info into a PDA. For a Hunter that is huge.

In my opinion in a perfect world this rangefinder would be availlable in a binocular with a mil option. But until they get there i think its still an advantage over whats out there now.

When a nice buck is moving, stopping, then moving at 740yds (happened to me a couple of years ago) trying to range, input info into Shooter, dial then shoot is a pain in the butt. Being able to range, dial, shoot without breaking position is a huge speed advantage hunting. Not to mention touch screen smart phones can be a little testy in 10F weather.

Had a couple guys mention this and I don't disagree, it is just that if I am going to buy a $1600 rangefinder I would like it to work as designed and be as quick as possible. That is part of the benefit of this system, that it gives a very fast solution. Having to add a chart to the mix is moving in the wrong direction IMO.

Like, you said, it is an option though.

Scot E.

I agree. The whole idea of the G7 is one stop shopping. Ergo, $1600.

My Leica 1600 will range very nicely and even tell me the angle. I can pull a little card that I keep in my pocket with my .mil dial-ups one one side and an angle conversion chart on the other side and make a fairly quick conversion of the shoot-to distance and then adjust according to my dial-up chart.

Issue is that the G7 also provides environmental corrections AND does the two step calculations for me. If the G7 won't do that for the mil scope, then I might as well save the cost of two Leicas and stick with what I have.

Again, it would be simple and cheap for Gunwerks to have a .mil conversion but it seems they are trying to convince folks to buy their MOA compatible scope instead.

I don't think its a matter of convincing people to buy their scopes...i cant speak for them so i won't, but if the majority of longrange hunters are using MOA or BDC then they are meeting the largest demand of the market.

...a mil option in a bino configuration would likely make the G7 obsolete. Are you listening lieca or swaro?

Here's the reality, in my eyes anyway!:) They are up on the competition right now with a new and very impressive product but they are missing 30% of potential market share just on this site alone that use MIL. I think the overall market share is even larger. Places like the hide have a lot higher percentage of guys that use MIL compared to here for instance and I think this unit would sell like hotcakes for anyone that shoots long range, not just hunters.

It isn't going to be long at all before they have competition and I can guarantee you they will have both options. It is just too easy to plug in a MIL formula or convert MOA to MIL. So my argument from a marketing standpoint would be why not try to capture as much market as possible before the competition really hits. Someone else will come out with a rangefinder that offers both so if it is going to make their scopes obsolete, which I personally don't think it will, then it is going to happen regardless so again why not gain as much market share and sales as possible beforehand.

But hey, that just me! It isn't my money at stake!

Scot E.

True.

I wanted to wait for someone to come out with it in a binocular but the group buy swayed me. I guess im not as patient as you.

Don't get me wrong, the group buy is sweet and I am almost tempted to get one just for the couple of guns I haven't switched to MIL yet. I just wish I could have it perfect! Picky me, I know!

Scot E.:D

it seems to be dead on, as long as all the information on your gun is correctly entered, but thats a given. I really like that ay different eleavations I dont need a second or third turret, the G7 eliminates all that.
So lets say you have a turret set at 2000 feet elevation,dead on... and you are hunting high country at 8000 foot elevation, the g7 adjusts for that...That is a ton better then swapping knobs before every hunt....WOW:)

So lets say you have a turret set at 2000 feet elevation,dead on... and you are hunting high country at 8000 foot elevation, the g7 adjusts for that...That is a ton better then swapping knobs before every hunt....WOW:)

I just got one. That's exactly what it does,very well. I'm very impressed with the unit. My 1000 yard shooters have turrets. My +1000 yard rigs are MOA. Up to five programs using either approach can be easily programmed into the unit. This is a nice feature! The drops this unit produces exactly replicates those I have generated from both the G7 and Ballistic FTE programs that I have been using.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.