Gunsmith near Kansas City

Boozer

Hi all-

I usually hang around over in the reloading and general sections, but I'm in need of a good gunsmith. I have a rem 700 in 30-06 that I would like to have rebarreled and blueprinted. This is going to primarily be a hunting rifle, not bench rest etc, so I'm not worried about one hole groups, that being said, I do want someone who will still give it that attention to detail, you know what I mean? I've done lots of reading, and have a good idea of places half-way across the country where I could send it, but I would prefer to keep it local. Nothing like looking someone in the eye when doing business.

I'd be willing to drive up to 2ish hours if necessary. I've been meaning to call GA precision, but it seems like they only build their own rifles, not necessarily taking on projects like this.

Thanks,

Ga Precision will build you a hunting rifle to your specs, Ive had a few hunting rigs and several comp guns built by Gap. You won't regret it, give them a call!!

GA Precision will handle all types of repair and re-barreling for most types of rifles. They usually have a good selection of Bartlein barrels on hand but will order any barrel of good quality as a replacement.

Regards.

Thanks for the info. I'll give GA a call. Any other recommendations? I'm sure GA would be great, but no telling how long they're backedup, and cost. Would also like to Get to know other quality smiths on the area.

Between Gordy and GA Precision, there's some very reputable options right here in town! Thanks guys! I had heard of Gordy, but didn't know he was in town...

Between Gordy and GA Precision, there's some very reputable options right here in town! Thanks guys! I had heard of Gordy, but didn't know he was in town...

I know this thread is a couple of weeks old and you have probably already delivered your rifle to someone for the work you want done, but I just thought I would throw out another name that has a history and does outstanding work....

Tim "Moon" Roberts, former GA Precision gunsmith, now has his own shop called Crescent Customs. It is located just a few blocks from GA Precision, real easy to hit them both on the same trip.

Tim does quality work, you will not be disappointed.

Just to circle back and chip in with my findings, there is another former GA guy up in Weston, MO. Jeff Hayes of Rivers Bend Gun Co. I've been makings some calls to weigh cost and lead times, but no winners yet.

I ended up taking it into GA Precision on Friday. Gordy was backed up 12-18 months, and while both Jeff and Tim seemed liked they would be very capable, the pricing was pretty close to GA's and lead time was a bit longer. I should have it back in 2-3 months with a new bartlein barrel, accurizing action, and nice matte black ceracote job. If I remember, I'll come back and let you guys know some updates when I get it back.

There are a lot of "smiths" around KC. I live there for instance, but I am not for hire. I know most of the guys involved in it because we trade tooling.

I know Mike Allee at Gunsmithing Only. He has an average turn around time and is more than capable to do the job. The owner of that shop is Rachel Wholetz, and she's a pretty good manager from what I can tell.

There are a few really good ones who work for cheap because they love it. None of them advertise, but they all hang out at Mill Creek Shooting range.

Just fyi.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.