Gunners shooting class

graybullet

Thinking of taking level 1. Have any of you taken it, if so what did you think? (Gunwerks) auto correct sucks.

I took the Gunwerks L1 & L2 courses back to back this past August 2016.

Their range and facility are purpose built and well done. The instructor, James (I think) was experienced, knowledgeable and easy to follow. He's forgotten more than I'll ever know. His class assistant was out hunting that week and there were a few guys in the class who were super chatty and wasted a lot of our time telling stories. Plus they were 10-15 mins late every day and that wasted time for the rest of us. I had spent a lot of loot and set aside a lot time for this trip and was there to learn not to hear about their gun collections.

Almost all the shooting for both classes was from the bench and less than an hour in alternate positions and prone total. I thought there would be more positional instruction or at least hoped there would be.

We shot their very nice Gunwerks L1000 rifles suppressed in 6.5 Creedmoor exclusively during the class and I agree it's the best way to go. Ammo was free flowing all day every day and they have you shooting at 1000 yards first day. Otherwise you'd waste hours dealing with individual's rifles that are not set up properly. They teach you how to set up your own rifle but not in the class.

The class starts with classroom instruction in the mornings and the talk to action ratio is great. Great facility and lunch as well.

After our day was done we were encouraged to bring out and shoot our own rifles.

Something I'd have really liked to have was an outline or print out of the very detailed PowerPoint presentation the instructor used. There's a lot of great content and illustrations, too much to take notes on so I resorted to taking photos of the slides. Most everyone in the class asked for copies of those photos.

Of the many things we learned, I was very happy about how much time we spent reading the wind or learning to read and visualize the mirage. A lot of time was spent on wind/mirage and it was well done and well worth it.

There is a consistent but subtle discussion of their products and other helpful products by other manufacturers. They offer some discounts during the class and an order form to fill out if you want something. I already owned their G7 BR2 rangefinder (they discounted it when I signed up for the classes) and by the end of the class I'm pretty sure all 12-15 people there bought one or owned one. Quite a few folks had already purchased or owned Gunwerks guns and at least one person ordered one there I think. The instructor did not push their products at all but they teach with what they sell just as they should. Much of the ballistics talk was focused around the G7 BR2 / G7 scope etc. Again, they manufacture and teach their LR shooting systems but it's NOT a huge sales pitch as it could be.

The biggest standout to me was the quality and caring of their staff, both at the range facility in Burlington and at the factory in Cody. I made some lifelong friends there at Gunwerks and left feeling more like a local not a visitor. Everyone there at Gunwerks wants you to succeed and you can tell they love their jobs, products and company.

As for the lack/loss of a classroom assistant and the chatty Cathy students, the former resulted in the later taking a lot of the very competent instructor's time. Take either one of those challenges out of the equation and it would have resolved itself. I mentioned it to Aaron Davidson one afternoon at the factory when I stopped by to pick up something I bought and he keyed on it and responded immediately right on the spot and he showed up at the school the next morning himself. Whether that was purposeful or not I don't know but he showed the concern and care you'd expect of a detail oriented business owner.

I didn't really intend on going into this much detail but I felt like you and Gunwerks deserved a comprehensive and hopefully fair report of my experience. I might not have gotten everything I expected but there's only so much time and I definitely came out a better shooter with a solid foundation to continue a lifelong learning experience in LR shooting.

The #1 thing I'd say is unless you are going to take the L2 course at the same time, you'd probably be disappointed to go up there just to take L1 but that is just my opinion!

Happy New Year!

~Robert

We only had 6 in our class in August.I don't think you would be disappointed just taking the Level 1 class although there won't be much wind call info unless of course you jump on the spotting scope right after the instructor calls the wind.:roll eyes:

I liked that someone knowledgeable confirms or not what I thought I knew. Confidence is a great thing.

Wish the class had more instruction on form and technique but that is not what the class is about.

Everything else is exactly as described above.

We camped south of Cody after and shot out to 1650. 2 shots and we were more than in the neighborhood of intended target. It was nice to go and put what you've learned into action.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.