LR Shooting class with Good Grouper!!!

stevet

I just spent two days at a long range shooting class with "Good Grouper" as the instructor. I have to say it was very informative and a lot of fun. I could only stay two days but I walked away with a much better understanding of the possibilities of long range shooting. Shooting fairly small gongs at long distances was not only fun, but gave me the desire to refine my loads and practice at extreme ranges. I took my .284 STAK which is basically a 300 Dakota necked down and improved. The idea of this caliber came from Roland "7mmRHB" as I was trying to copy his Wildcat. I definitly need to work on my own loads, but can't wait to get out and shoot some more. I was very impressed with Jim's "good grouper" ability to answer all of my questions with confidence and knowledge. Thanks Jim for the great learning experience. Best regards, Steve

Thanks Steve for your kind words.

I guess the cat is out of the bag now!
I am indeed teaching a long range shooting class now that gives the interested hunter a chance to see what his or her own hunting rifle can do when a few long range principles are applied. It is actually nothing new; 7mmrhb and I have been doing basically the same thing for a few years now but it has been on a one-on-one basis and we have not needed to advertise.

This new class style will prove to be a very good atmosphere and will encourage classmates to get more out of it.

We are offering several package classes ranging from one day to three day courses. All meals, transportation from the airport, and lodging will be included in the packages.

Guests will stay at the Porcupine Adventures lodge and resort. Classes are taught at the main lodge as well as 100 yard chronographing and scope movement assessment and gong shooting will be carried out in a private mountain valley 15 minutes from the main lodge.

Just about every aspect of long range hunting and shooting will be covered in the three day course. There will also be an advance class offered for guys who can already poke out past 600 yards or so efficiently.

Gongs are varying in sizes. 5" circle at 450, 8" at 600, 12" square at 800, 12" square at 1k, and 22" at 1200 for the brave. They seem small for the distance but we believe, "aim small, miss small". None of this 52" diamond at 1k b.s.! We want to practice on vital sized targets, not bus sized targets.

In this class, it was my main focus to show what can be done with one's own hunting rifle, a good solid hardware set up, and a good hand-load. We will have package guns set up for those who have no equipment to start, and we do consultations and recommendations for these clients. All rigs will be set up so that the hunter can pick his gear based on recommendations and be able and knowledgeable enough to use it on his own in the field. There will not be a 30-378 handed to you with a drop reticle and you will not be clueless when you leave this class!! You will understand ballistic principles and be able to dial your scope to the MOA needed. No "ballparking" will be utilized. Clients will learn the faults in ballistic holdover dots quickly when we shoot gongs at an altitude of 6500 feet.

In the last class, all of the participants shot their own guns (most were non-custom) and succeeded at hitting the all gongs up to the 1k target (minus one fella who didn't bring enough FL sized ammo!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

At the end of the gong shooting session, I let all participants shoot my 6br improved out to 1200 yards and that really opened their eyes to the possibilities! I put three shots into a tidy little 3.25" group and then they put a few more into my group and it ended up at just over 12"! Now all of them gotta have a 6br of course!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The next class should prove to be a good one and I think everyone can learn something interesting.

Thanks to everyone who made the first official class such a great experience! Now watch the wind and dump that long range buck!

GG

Do you really think its a good ideal to teach Utards to shoot long range???? LOL
The Utah DOW will be shutting you down, didn't you know your not actually suppost to hit and kill something!
How can they resell these tags for the next 10 years if somebody actually kills an animal!! Your going to break the DOW and then they will have to raise the price to play. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

OHWELL good luck with your classes
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gifCAM

GG

Looks like a nice web page Dave has!

I was just Joking about the UDOW I never know you were linked up with an outfitter.

$$16,000.00 for ELK /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I think the classes will be a big hit here in utah.

why not post the link?

CAM

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.