Gun tipped over on bench! scope broke?

The brand of scope is extremely important, not only for clarity and durability but also for warranty. Vortex scopes are superior to these issues, extreme clarity, durability, ability to move 4 clicks and actually move 1 inch instead of two or three, and they hold their zero. The best part is that they have a lifetime unconditional warranty. You break it and hand them the broken one, even in pieces and they hand you a new scope in return, no questions asked. I don't know of any other scope manufacturer that offers that kind of warranty.

I don't know of any other scope manufacturer that offers that kind of warranty.

Leupold... last I knew...

Repair or replace. Yet that provides me little consolation beginning with the period of time my scope starts failing, until the time I diagnose it, and get it off my rifle. That period of time can be awfully frustrating, and damage the memory of hunts and the shots taken on game animals.

I have been thinking about it and I should have simplified my question.
Can A scope be knocked out of zero and not be damaged internally?

No. I say this because even if a scope can be rezero'd, it has lost spring pressure, was built wrong, was damaged or was designed wrong. The original problem will not be fixed be rezeroing.

5" or 5'….If the tube is not visibly bent, it should not lose zero. If it is bent, I have to ask….Is it ok to bend the tube in a 5" drop?

No. I say this because even if a scope can be rezero'd, it has lost spring pressure, was built wrong, was damaged or was designed wrong. The original problem will not be fixed be rezeroing.

5" or 5'….If the tube is not visibly bent, it should not lose zero. If it is bent, I have to ask….Is it ok to bend the tube in a 5" drop?
I agree.
So I took the scope off and put a different one on the gun shoots fine . The scope that took the fall had no visible exterior damage the and all screws were tight when I took it out of the seekins rings. For those of you that are dying to know it was a Leupold VX6 I will be sending it back to have them take a look at it.
On a side note I have another of the same scope on a much heavier 338 Lapua that took a nasty 4' fall onto frozen ground and I had no problem with that one holding zero

I agree.
So I took the scope off and put a different one on the gun shoots fine . The scope that took the fall had no visible exterior damage the and all screws were tight when I took it out of the seekins rings. For those of you that are dying to know it was a Leupold VX6 I will be sending it back to have them take a look at it.
On a side note I have another of the same scope on a much heavier 338 Lapua that took a nasty 4' fall onto frozen ground and I had no problem with that one holding zero
^^^^^
End of discussion

I agree.
Scopes are finicky things. They are mostly designed for magnum types of recoils which are for all practical purposes front and rear as the scope is mounted on the rifle. Now throw in lateral forces as in dropped or fall down a hill then you have exceeded design limitations. It all depends upon the shock received and from what direction as to what will happen. Sometimes you win, sometimes you don't. It is literally a crap shoot that is dependent on the individual scope and the angle of impact. Check the rifles zero if there is any question at all. The zero you check can mean the difference of that monster of a lifetime and the monster wondering where that supersonic crack of the bullet passing by several feet away came from and you wondering how in the H*** you missed such an easy shot.

The brand of scope is extremely important, not only for clarity and durability but also for warranty. Vortex scopes are superior to these issues, extreme clarity, durability, ability to move 4 clicks and actually move 1 inch instead of two or three, and they hold their zero. The best part is that they have a lifetime unconditional warranty. You break it and hand them the broken one, even in pieces and they hand you a new scope in return, no questions asked. I don't know of any other scope manufacturer that offers that kind of warranty.
Leupold has for me with two scopes, and repaired some binoculars no questions asked I damaged. I told them exactly what happened and asked if they could fix it. First scope was an original Alaskan 4x and I fell down breaking the ocular lens. This was in the 80's and they didn't make that scope anymore, and they sent me a brand new VXIII 3x9. Second was a VXIII 3x9x50 the horse reared over backwards and landed on the scabbard side bending the main tube. The binos were hung over the sadle horn while we quarted a bull, and the horse wanted more grass and hopped a couple times to move. Binos flew off and landed in the rocks knocking the mirrors out of alignment and they fixed it for free. .

Last edited:
Vortex is not fixing any issue they simply replace with no questions asked. The advantage is that there is no waiting for the shop to get around to your particular scope. Turn around time is essentially the time it takes your broken item to get to them and the replacement to get back to you. If you live close enough to drive to Barneveld, WI its an over the counter instant trade. Both are especially handy if you are running up against the opening of a hunting season.

Vortex is not fixing any issue they simply replace with no questions asked. The advantage is that there is no waiting for the shop to get around to your particular scope. Turn around time is essentially the time it takes your broken item to get to them and the replacement to get back to you. If you live close enough to drive to Barneveld, WI its an over the counter instant trade. Both are especially handy if you are running up against the opening of a hunting season.
Unknown where you are getting all your information. The great thing is in America we get to post/say what we want. I sent back a DB Tactical 6-24x50 on May 21, 2021 due to unable to focus/adjust parallax. This was a new scope and it worked fine when I got it. I had mounted it on a new gun, so I know how many rounds it had under it (46). After load development I was verifying ballistics and it went south. Sent it back to Vortex and it was returned with a repair sheet saying the adjustment springs were defective and replaced. Being able to tell it was the exact same I scope I sent in for repair is pretty easy I looked at the serial number.

Last edited:
Outside of the Razor line I won't touch another Vortex scope. Too many crossfires and diamondbacks that don't track/over track. I know of a major optics retailer that will not stock Vortex because of the high frequency of warranty use.

Burris and Leupold have lifetime warranties. Burris replaced a scope that was ruined in a vehicle crash. Of 20 some Burris scopes over the last 20yrs that was the only warranty use of their products.

Leupold gave me a huge discount on a new range finder after my 8yr old range finder, out of warranty, started to reticle fade. They didn't even require I send my old one back. They told me how to reset/calibrate the device for accuracy and said use it till you can't see the reticle. LOL I thought that was awesome of them.

Outside of the Razor line I won't touch another Vortex scope. Too many crossfires and diamondbacks that don't track/over track. I know of a major optics retailer that will not stock Vortex because of the high frequency of warranty use.

Burris and Leupold have lifetime warranties. Burris replaced a scope that was ruined in a vehicle crash. Of 20 some Burris scopes over the last 20yrs that was the only warranty use of their products.

Leupold gave me a huge discount on a new range finder after my 8yr old range finder, out of warranty, started to reticle fade. They didn't even require I send my old one back. They told me how to reset/calibrate the device for accuracy and said use it till you can't see the reticle. LOL I thought that was awesome of them.
A lot of companies won't stock vortex because of the $5,000 minimum order and a 7,500$ annual product sales requirement.

I like how you compare leupold to the vortex crossfire and diamondback line while negating the PST line up. Which judging by some of the ridiculous post and threads on this forum is probably more than enough scope for 90% of members here.

You basically are comparing Leupold and Burris general line up to vortex's childrens toy scope line up. Leupold is so embarrassed by their toy scope "crossfire" like brand that they market it under redfield optics.

Last edited:
They only replace the low end Chinese like scopes. All of their versions of mid to high offerings, especially AMG series, get service tickets with a actual repairs if when applicable.

Obviously if you yeet the scope or optic down a 1000ft canyon…you are looking at a full replacement.

4AB08278-2969-46CB-9A0E-B2BA2EF3410E.gif

I like how you compare leupold to the vortex crossfire and diamondback line while negating the PST line up. Which judging by some of the ridiculous post and threads on this forum is probably more than enough scope for 90% of most members here.

You basically are comparing Leupold and Burris general line up to vortex's childrens toy scope line up. Leupold is so embarrassed by their toy scope "crossfire" like brand that they market it under redfield optics.
I see your point, a bit snarky, but anyhoo...I'll expound on the subject a bit more. On the hunting scope lines:

Burris economy line scopes, under $300, beat Leupold and Vortex in quality and tracking. Burris top end scopes, the Veracity line, fall a bit short of the Leupold VX5 line, but still better than any Vortex hunting scope line under the Razor line.

Talking the big boy lines of scopes, like the XTR III, MK5, Razor Gen II, Bushnell Tactical Elite...the Burris XTR III and Razor Gen II get the winner bracket, and I'd give the Razor Gen II the nudge over the XTR III.

Talking junk scopes, Vortex is the clear winner outside the Razor line. It's the business model of Vortex to produce an inferior product, but then offer "a great warranty" in hopes their customers just think they can't shoot and don't expect every single owner to return the product. Cost/risk analysis.