Gun Oil (Again):

Radman

I know that we have beaten this horse to death but......
After many, MANY years of buying "gun oil" speifically for guns a frugal friend of mine got me started using synthetic motor oil. After considering everything I thought: 1) 5w30 (or thinner) means thin in cold temps but great protection when hot as well. 2) High detergent to keep things clean. 3) Rust inhibitors, self explanatory. 4) Probably much cheaper bought by the quart instead of my 2 - 4 ounce bottles. And 5) Good film strength to protect exterior surfaces as well as internal. Just my thinking. I've experimented on my own rifles and shotguns this past winter and so far I have found no negatives whatsoever.
I know many on here already use motor oil. Thoughts? Any reasons not to switch?
Thanks in advance.

I know that we have beaten this horse to death but......
After many, MANY years of buying "gun oil" speifically for guns a frugal friend of mine got me started using synthetic motor oil. After considering everything I thought: 1) 5w30 (or thinner) means thin in cold temps but great protection when hot as well. 2) High detergent to keep things clean. 3) Rust inhibitors, self explanatory. 4) Probably much cheaper bought by the quart instead of my 2 - 4 ounce bottles. And 5) Good film strength to protect exterior surfaces as well as internal. Just my thinking. I've experimented on my own rifles and shotguns this past winter and so far I have found no negatives whatsoever.
I know many on here already use motor oil. Thoughts? Any reasons not to switch?
Thanks in advance.
Why did I not think of that? Thanks

There is a test where they tested 60 or so oils on pieces of steel that was left outside in the elements. Many of the oils failed the test quickly.

The winner was a tie between Hornady one shot

and Frog lube

Being a doubting Thomas, I had to test the results for myself. I bought the Hornady One Shot and put it on a Rossi single barrel shotgun, placed the shotgun in the hay barn. Here in the South, we have very high humidity and the hay barn was open on the front and a door on the side.

I examined the shotgun after 7 Days, no rust

Then examined after 2 weeks, no rust.

I forgot about the gun for two weeks, so at 30 days, I examined it and there was no rust.

Now, I examined again after three months, no rust.

Then examined after 6 months, no rust. I gave up on the gun getting rusty brought it back in the garage.

Protecting your guns is not a place to be cheap on if you live in humid, damp, wet climates.

There is a test where they tested 60 or so oils on pieces of steel that was left outside in the elements. Many of the oils failed the test quickly.

The winner was a tie between Hornady one shot

and Frog lube

Being a doubting Thomas, I had to test the results for myself. I bought the Hornady One Shot and put it on a Rossi single barrel shotgun, placed the shotgun in the hay barn. Here in the South, we have very high humidity and the hay barn was open on the front and a door on the side.

I examined the shotgun after 7 Days, no rust

Then examined after 2 weeks, no rust.

I forgot about the gun for two weeks, so at 30 days, I examined it and there was no rust.

Now, I examined again after three months, no rust.

Then examined after 6 months, no rust. I gave up on the gun getting rusty brought it back in the garage.

Protecting your guns is not a place to be cheap on if you live in humid, damp, wet climates.
Hornady One Shot Cleaner & Lube is all I use. Bolt rifles, pistols, AR's, reloading equipment, tools. It's good stuff and PERFECT for hunting guns, carry guns, long term storage, everything. Midway has it on sale now and then at half off, last time I stocked up and got 10 big cans half price. I typically clean with traditional cleaners, rinse with carb cleaner as needed, then spray down with One Shot.

You guys know that is not the Hornady product that won, right?

The Hornady TAP Extreme won and is now discontinued.
That's the old product/label The new product/label is One Shot Cleaner and Lube, and it has the same lubricating properties/ingredients including the star of the show: DynaGlide Plus.

Last edited:

Recent Posts