Guide to Hunting First Aid Kit

John Murphy

Official LRH Sponsor
LRH Sponsor
First aid is smart and having items is smarter. Just odd you dont have a tourniquet in that first aid kit for hunting. That will save your life in many critical gunshot/cut wound situations that none of the listed items alone will. I carry one in my backpack and it weighs a few ounces.

One thing I learned in my Colorado hunters education a couple of listings ago, Hypothermia kills! Carry candy bars like snickers and peanut m&m as emergency food/medicine for that

I am 77 and this is the first time I have read this. So apparently it is not "common knowledge".
I don't want to assume anything. Are you saying you did not know "every hunter must always fully prepare before going on a hunting trip including being equipped for emergencies" or did you just learn this because of the post? If you just learned it the post was a success for the OP. Best to you and you will find the right "kit" to meet your prepared needs.

Electrical tape or similar is great for making a makeshift splint, takes up very little room.

Also, instead of gauze pads, you can buy sterilized cheese cloth for little to nothing and vacuum bag it in various sized bunches.

Travel size pump spray containers can be had cheap, this allows you to carry small quantities of alcohol, hydrogen peroxide or antiseptic in small sealed bottles to prevent leakage in your kit.

Mouthwash can double as an antiseptic in a pinch, burns like hell but will work.

Look at Slice, they produce a line of ceramic scissors, knives and scalpels that are very reasonably priced and compact.

Also, most airlines have very extensive first aid kits and they are required to replace them on intervals. I went to a safety seminar where we were offered these kits for nothing since they can no longer use them. Worth a look at your local hub or contact the airlines directly about attending one of these emergency safety seminars and see about picking up an "expired" kit. The one I received came in a nice resealable dry bag backpack. I just replaced the missing expired med packs with fresh vacuum bagged OTC med packs and added items that were needed, like a snake bite kit.

Industrial cut resistant rubber gloves, add them in your kill kit. They will save the use of your first aid kit many times.
Had a hunting buddy slip when we were working on an elk, cut the tendons in three fingers. That made for a real poopy day, a elk half done and a hand in need of surgery.

Basic first aid items are good but should stay at the truck or in base camp. Life threatening trauma situations require some different gear. You can only carry so much in your pack so it should be the critical items.

Be able to address,
-severe bleeding
-compromised airway
-stabilization of fractures

Get some training and know how and when to use the gear you do carry.

(1) CAT tourniquet of high quality
(2) Israeli bandages
(1) SAM splint rolled
(1) NP airway
(6) compressed ABD pads
(1) 1/2 roll of athletic tape
(1) set of chest seals
(1) high quality compact trauma shears
(1) Garmin Inreach

Last edited:
I am surprised to not yet see benedryl listed. Nearly lost a gal to 150+ ground wasp stings because no one had any with them. I now carry it in every vehicle and in every F-A kit.

I'd go with Gorilla Tape over generic duct tape. More better louder, something likely to be important when you really need it.

All good stuff, but I agree the OP is a bit of an ouchie kit with extras. I may start separating into ouchie vs trauma.

Chest seals? Do we need those? I carry them…..wish I understood them better.

Also, something like an Israeli bandage.

Was Quickclot on there?

Basically, my biggest concern is developing a leak! Which can become infected.

Second top concern is joint damage or broken bones.

Third some crazy allergy reaction…so, I have Benadryl tablets.

Last edited:
I carry a trauma kit now when I go hunting. Everything from alcohol wipes to a tourniquet. Several years ago a hunter we knew almost sliced his finger off and nobody even had a band aid. We usually never think of worst case scenarios but I wonder how many people could have been saved after a hunting accident if someone was better trained and prepared?

I put my own kit together but you can buy full kits like this online.

MyFAK