GROUNDHOG MATCH ....PICTURES..6-17.06

Frank in the Laurel Mts

mifflinco6-17004.jpg

mifflinco6-17001.jpg

th_mifflinco6-17009.jpg

mifflinco6-17010.jpg

ENJOY..lots of posters on this site sitting or shooting??

NEXT MATCH ...JULY 29th...YOUR ALL INVITED..

http://www.mifflincosportsmens.com

How does a groundhog match work?

I know -i know --> "you shoot at groundhogs stupid /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif" .

What are the targets and distances?

I like to see girls shooting and hunting for some reason it seems like it would baffle the anti's! Mike

The custom rifles LV/HV shoot 200-300-500 yards..the target is proportional to look about the same at each distance..the 10X scoring ring is about 1/3 of an inch in diameter and then it increases ruffly about the same as the distance...about 1/2 at 300 and around 3/4's at 500...this match has a sighter target at each distance to get yourself on and then your best five shots for score..Score, X's and group size determine the winner...max score is 150, 15 X and the smallest groups are usually in the 1 inch area or so..the factory class is 100-200-300 yards with about the same rules..it's really nothing more than a benchrest match with a hunter/varmint twist..it has really grown in the northeast and we have about 4 or 5 different clubs that are now doing it...we get around 60 different guys that shoot regularly but some have over 100...it has become very popular very quickly...kind of nice changing yardage..what is the most amazing thing is that no caliber or cartridge as of yet has really dominated..we see everything form .17/221 ro .338/416 and everything inbetween..a little mix of everything...great fun and very competitive..if you'd like to see the target and read the rules check out the club's website..start one in your own area..it will catch on and that's almost a guarrentee..

http://www.mifflincosportsmens.com

Thanks Frank ,

The website must be down or something -i'll try later though.

On the advice of start your own groundhog match ,I live in an area where longrange is considered 150 yards.
The closest longrange range is 3 hrs away.
It does look and sound like fun though.Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.