Greetings from reactivated member & interesting article on shooting technique.

Dooner

Greetings all. I'm in the process of moving my hunting from the bow to rifle. It appears I'm going full circle. Initially I shot rifles, then shotguns for bird hunting over my retrievers, then came the bow. I was reloading 30-06 at 12yrs old in my Dad's shop, and later moved on to reloading for shotgun. That was many years ago. At about 24yrs, I got into archery, eventually hunting all over North America, and South Africa. I have harvested Elk, Caribou, Black Bear, Deer, Pronghorn, Javelina, Wild Boar and African Plains Game with the bow. I have decided to move to the rifle, and go for a caliber I've always had a hankering for,... a 264 Win Mag. I know,.. nostalgia:) I've picked up a pair of rifles in 264 Win Mag, a Sendero, and Winchester model 70 super grade. I've spent many hours on line studying reloading, taking an on line course, and perusing U-tube. For now, I'm starting out with custom loads from Nosler, and Hendershots. Man, it's expensive now!

There are just an amazing number of great resources for information now. I was on Terminal Ballistics Research's website, and came upon this article regarding controlling the the rifle forend. I thought it was very interesting, especially since it seemed to confirm something that I noticed by chance when I was sighting in a 260 Rem about 10 years ago. In reading this and thinking it over, I was a little amused to see how it was dusting off the cobwebs from brain cells that were left from the marksmanship training that I had using a sling about 5 1/2 decades ago. I hope you enjoy the article that talks about the crossed arm technique vs. controlling the forend with the use of a sling. I'm guessing many, or most of, you are familiar with this topic. I haven't seen it mentioned on this forum, and thought it was interesting. What say you??

Cheers,

Dave

Last edited:
It's not nostalgia, it's just common sense for those of us that have a touch of grey hair. I also have two rifles in 264 Win Mag. i.e. Sako and Browning Safari that I have been shooting since the 60's. With 140 or 130 grain bullets I have killed deer, elk, bear, sheep, mountain goat etc. I am a fan of H 4831SC powder and Win mag primers. Enjoy.

My go-to powder for the 264 is RETUMBO.
My rifle is a custom based on a Sendero, 29" 1:8" twist barrel .950" at the muzzle.
Absolute tack driver. 140-142gr bullets is where it works real well.

Cheers.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts