Grand Cherokee Theft Deterrent Works Oops!

Muddyboots

So went shopping with wife and stopped at local Ace Hdw and left wife in HER jeep. She shuts it off while I was in store, then got chilled and tried to start jeep. HOWEVER, you have to place foot on brake which she cannot do from passenger seat. She got GREAT idea and started it with remote start function while STILL INSIDE jeep. Then she realized she STILL had to place foot on brake to turn off remote to regular idle. So she opens door....OOPSies!!!! The jeep interprets that this action is a theft in progress. Panic horn goes off and rear hatch opens! So now she is flustered and cannot shut it off!😱😂😂😂😂 My U-Connect app and Mopar app sends me immediate message of theft warning and I get multiple emails at same time telling me same thing. She finally got into driver side and got it shut off. People were staring at her which embarrassed her even more! 😂😂😂

The harder I laughed the madder she got! She got madder when I said thanks for testing system for theft!

Hilarious! Except not to your wife! i can easily identify with her frustration. I would probably have been cursing at the car.
I have a Jeep with Uconnect...didn't know I could have it call me. Darn thing didn't even come with a hard copy of the manual....it's all online in the cars display they told me. Great.
Thanks for the alarm tip! I don't know why the designers interpret that as a break in. If you're inside, or outside, you need to get it out of remote start mode in any case. If I'm in control and out and about I never get out without a key or fob on me with the windows rolled up in case something fails and it decides to lock the doors.

I'm an old tech guy, but I think consumer devices have gotten way too complicated for no good reason, and find poor user interfaces everywhere I go. So many mysterious or nonsensical interfaces, it's totally lame. At one of my early high tech companies in the 80s where we invented the first computer graphics we literally had competitions on how few buttons and button presses it took to create to create certain graphical element. Had to be super efficient and super intuitive. Nowadays the designers seem like they must be on ketamine when they're designing their interfaces. Look at Venmo as an example. It's absurd. lol you got me started....