Grainger - My Gunsmithing Supply

Muddyboots

So I have found all sorts of items that are useful for just about anything in Grainger. So I am modifying the foot stirrup on my Xbow since as my name implies not only muddy but Yeti size feet so my hunting boot toe barely fits into the cocking stirrup. So ordered some aluminum square and rod stock to make one to fit us normal size Shrek boots.

But while perusing around, stumbled onto this pipe bracket and yes, I ordered one to see if I can use as a barrel vise. I have a Wheeler and though works OK, the oak blocks are a pain. Looks interesting and I think it just might work either by itself bolted to table or inserted into the Wheeler vise. Since the majority of my builds have either light or medium palma, the ID appears to be OK. I have some thin wall aluminum 1" tubing that I can split to use as a wrap as a bushing. It's $24.95 so if it works, it could be an interesting option as an inexpensive barrel vise. When I pick it up, I will decide if worth purchasing to try. Might not even look as good in hand so never know until you can handle it.

I've bought "spacers" that have worked extremely well as pillars for several rifles, impossible to find screws etc so not a bad place to look for an oddball item.

So before you start trolling, I like to repurpose and this is just a fun project to try.

ZSI-Heavy-Duty-Beta-Clamp-Steel-with-Aluminum-Cushion-22JE98-H5021S-AL-Grainger.jpg

ZSI-Heavy-Duty-Beta-Clamp-Steel-with-Aluminum-Cushion-22JE98-H5021S-AL-Grainger(1).jpg

The clamp shown says it is sized for 1" pipe, which is 1" I.D.- but it doesn't say which type/wall thickness (sch 40?)- which is what determines OD.
The OD is what's important here, and tubing is measured differently than pipe (tubing measurements are O.D.)- your aluminum tubing is
1" O.D. I suspect this particular clamp will bottom out before it even contacts the tubing bushing.

Barrel shanks measure 1.200-1.250 and your 1" OD tubing is going to have an ID of 7/8" at most which is a different issue.
I would have selected a larger size, perhaps 1-1/2" pipe that's large enough to grip the barrel at the end of the shank. Depending on whether you have the ability to turn tapered bushings on a lathe or cast epoxy ones, coordinate ID needed with the OD to fit the clamp.

I see no reason the concept with this clamp wouldn't work with the components correctly sized, good luck with it.

Great comment! Swing and missed on the pipe total OD. Only one cup of coffee probable reason. 🤣 I will revisit with revised OD requirements to see if they have better fit. Thx for good catch.

The clamp shown says it is sized for 1" pipe, which is 1" I.D.- but it doesn't say which type/wall thickness (sch 40?)- which is what determines OD.
Schedule of pipe is determined by wall thickness. The O.D. stays the same, just the I.D. gets smaller. All 1" pipe measures about 1 5/16" on the outside (lots of tolerance on pipe), regardless of schedule. "Mechanical tubing" is different material than pipe.

Spot on, I just needed to reset my own calibration of diameters. I still think this might work if I can find "right" diameter. Guess this confirms why I hire plumbers!

Small engines etc, I am all in, carpentry, plumbing I hire out! Electrical I am good as well.

"Just got to know your limitations" favorite quote!

So true but I do know when I do not have the time, desire or even basic skill set to accomplish something to the degree that I find acceptable I would rather pay for certain work. Just like I had an action trued up etc by a gunsmith that I have used for many years. I can do certain things well, others I pay someone to do it well.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.