Got the old Knight T-bolt shooting again.

RT2506

I have a Knight T-bolt Magnum 50 Cal. that I have had for many years. It came with a bolt set up to use musket caps. For years I used the musket cap with three Pyrodex pellets a MPM/Hornady high pressure black sabot with a Hornday 45 cal. 250 XTP bullet. It really shot nice groups and killed deer really well. I did have some problems with consistent ignition though. A few years ago I found a 209 primer conversion bolt for it at a give away price because the rifle had not been made for years. I put the bolt in and shot it a few times but really never got it to shooting accurately. I moved about that time and got into bow hunting and the T-bolt became a safe queen. I will be going on a hunting trip for three weeks in east NC and the first week will be during muzzle loading season so I started working with the old T-bolt and the components that I already had. I could not get it to shoot with pyrodex pellets and the above mentioned sabots and bullets. I tried three different primers, CCI, WW and Fed 209A and it shot basked ball size groups. I was told by friends to get the 295 power belt bullets and give two pellets a try. It still would not group. I had some pyrodex select and after reading the information in the power belt pack I decided to give 90 grs a try with Federal 209A primers and BINGO ragged hole group at 100 yards. Where I will be hunting I will not have a shot over 125 yards so I feel confident I can make meet. Funny how just changing priming can mess things up.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.