Got bored

That's a nice door. Don't you hate when someone screws the pooch on all the hard work you do? Still have to inlay the diamond on the gunstock....I'll get to it eventually. The last one I did was for a buddy of mine. I inlaid a cherry diamond with a fancy border on the bottom of the pistol grip of a laminated stock. Doing the cut outs on laminated stocks is pretty tough. That stuff doesn't cut easy. And if you rush it, it wants to chip out.
Thanks. 44" wide, just shy of 84" tall. Main frame 2 1/2" thick, windows are 1/2" Lexan, not glass. Hung on ball bearing hinges. Took 4 people to lift and set it. Column trim piece was initially turned on a lathe from 8x8 by 16" stock before hand carving the final work. I copied the original church doors, circa 1869. The painted woodwork is white walnut, also known as butternut.

@Rflshootr ok...new offer.

Come finish this dang kitchen and I will send you back across the Mason Dixon with all the mesquite and pecan and bois de arc you want to carry lol
You got it wrong...AGAIN! I'm south of the Mason-Dixon.:rolleyes:
Did you just call me a yankee? Bless your heart. 😆

Last edited:
Thanks Hard rock and everyone else. I just turned 60 last month, and it amazes me how craftsmanship has diminished year after year with the advent of electronics and button pushers. Seems like lots of skills in every trade have been lost over the years.
I have trained one person in over 40 years of woodworking and restorations. I learned the one skill you can't teach is patience. We have been doing something new the last 4 years. First image is the door nearly finished, built from scratch out of poplar. Known as a quadruple i. Second image is it installed. Door was coated with powdered copper, then chemically antiqued. With proper prep work, I can apply it to virtually anything, metal, wood, even glass. Top over door is actually glass. A bit much in the image, it was the day we antiqued it. Takes a couple weeks to soften the look to appear to be a 100 year old copper door. Old church restoration project. Not exactly a camouflaged look.
IMG_0834.JPG
IMG_0868.JPG

It's pretty stable for exterior work, and a painted finish was being applied. I refuse to paint black walnut, my favorite exterior wood. View attachment 385365
It's pretty stable for exterior work, and a painted finish was being applied. I refuse to paint black walnut, my favorite exterior wood. View attachment 385365

Mm
I'm with you, I think there is a special place in Hell for people that paint good wood and cover up figured wood, like walnut.

Hal

Another interesting thing about black walnut, it is lethal to termites. So I bag and save all my sawdust and shavings. I spread them around crawlspace perimeters. Also, it's really smart to wear a mask whenever sanding raises a fine dust. A nose hit will put you on your knees. I know of one church, finished in 1872, that is entirely framed in black walnut. Old coal chutes were framed closed with treated lumber. Termites ate the treated lumber, but not the walnut.