Got a bulge...

IMO, your clearance and sizing is too high, and I don't know about your annealing.
What you have is more like re-forming than normal bushing sizing.

Large angles are set in motion with excess sizing. This, leading to rolling of brass into forms different than expected.
I know Tubb is big into huge clearances. I had one of his 'roll Royce of dies' for my T2K in 6XC.
Worse die/chamber combo I ever ran into, as it plagued me with stuck cases. Basically big clearance chamber, super small die combo..

If I were you, even without this particular issue, I'd toss the barrel and Tubb dies, and start over with another reamer.
Well, thanks for the reply....

Your math wasn't screwy. He is sizing it down .013 from fired. That's a lot.
Yes it is
Fired = .376
Loaded= .367
Its been awhile since I went to school but thats why I screwed it up the first time.
LOL.
sizing it down is not what I was talking about in the beginning it was clearance between loaded round and Nk chamber thats what matters.

After thinking about this some more theres 2 things I would do to try and figure this out. Peterson has had brass issues from time to time. First I would trim .020 off a case try that, if that didn't work I would anneal 1 case then try resize it could be the brass is really hard and when it comes out of the bushing it cause a bell at the case mouth because of hardness.

That is actually a sized case. I'll take a look in the chamber, best I can, anyway.
I'm not sure what it is I should be looking for, though. How would a reamer cut that shape into the metal?
If it's a sized case. ......then it has absolutely nothing to do with chamber, carbon ring, or any part of the rifle. .....Expander ball! Last point of contact leaving the die!

Last edited:
Fired is .376.
Sized is .363
Bullet seated is .367

Fired .376 in 30cal means his chamber neck is ~.377 with spring back, unless the brass was killed with annealing.
Sized to .363 means ~.362 with spring back.
From .376 to .362 is 14thou. Predictable bushing sizing is limited to 5thou. Beyond that, brass begins rolling.

That's extreme for routine neck sizing, and 9-10thou neck clearance is extreme also.
Anyone who would cut a chamber neck to that likely did the same for case body.
Do you think all that is free?
It can work as disposable in a sloppy semi-auto, and don't expect better life with the same in a bolt action.

I have been reloading for 50 years, making cases, wildcats more in early days than anything else. I have seen this often. It is happening in the sizing process. It is most notable when you are sizing several thousands like you are here. I see it when making cases not normally when reloading because I never run that much clearance. I can not say what the cause is but it is NOT unusual. Maybe since the end of the neck it allows more springback when it comes out of bushing. I would want more bullet in the neck if it were me. More jump or longer bullet. Get more bullet in the case and that issue is not a major concern. I had a 33xc chambered with Tubbs Reamer design and used his dies. I sold it after putting less than 100 rounds down the tube. I do not recall any issues with the setup. It shot lights out with 300 Bergers.

If it's a sized case. ......then it has absolutely nothing to do with chamber, carbon ring, or any part of the rifle. .....Expander ball! Last point of contact leaving the die!
This makes sense as well. Got ALOT of good information and ideas here, lots to ponder.

I have been reloading for 50 years, making cases, wildcats more in early days than anything else. I have seen this often. It is happening in the sizing process. It is most notable when you are sizing several thousands like you are here. I see it when making cases not normally when reloading because I never run that much clearance. I can not say what the cause is but it is NOT unusual. Maybe since the end of the neck it allows more springback when it comes out of bushing. I would want more bullet in the neck if it were me. More jump or longer bullet. Get more bullet in the case and that issue is not a major concern. I had a 33xc chambered with Tubbs Reamer design and used his dies. I sold it after putting less than 100 rounds down the tube. I do not recall any issues with the setup. It shot lights out with 300 Bergers.
This is almost exactly what I came up with last nite. If I had more neck holding the bullet, I might not NEED to size down that far to get good neck tension. The brass is obviously hour glassing below the shank, measures on the minus side of .362. I'm a terrible artist, but I sketched out what I'm thinking,
1001230832_HDR.jpg

And given that, with only .130 or so shank in the neck, how long is the actual, real world, neck? I don't know, but I'd bet less than .130.
As soon as this barrel is broke, I'm moving up to 300gr bullets. They're lots longer! And fly better, too.