gophers in manitoba

neutral

went out for gophers is south western mb yesterday and we had a good time. except that there were almost no gophers (richardson grounds squirrel). i think the four of us shot 5. ;( the farmer thinks that they may have drowned out this year due to a lot of rain. on a good note i got to try out some loads that i've been playing with. I have a 26 inch mcgowen ss heavy barrel 223 rem 1 in 9 twist on a stevens 200 action and a boyds lrv thumhole laminate stock. I really like this gun.

i did however notice that the longer i set my coal the better my accuracy is getting. I've been playing with 69gr sierra hpbt and 68 gr hornady hpbt and 75gr hpbt for fun. i have my coal set to 2.3 wich seems long considering the max coal in my books is always 2.26. does anyboby else here do this. i'm barely into the lands so i'm wondering if my barrel is camberd wrong or if maybe its the bullets slender ogive that is the reason for the long bullet? i've been using rl15 and it seems to like the heavy bullets. I also have benchmark and a bunch of others but for heavies i've been using rl15. i'm also going to try some varget sometime this summer. I didnt get to shoot the new loads much past 200 but so far so good.

we also went to a shail pit on the farm and shot 250 rds of clays. we had a great time. i love shoting clays.

to bad about the gophers. always a bummer when the targets are few and far between.

you will get more answers if you post reloading questions in the reloading section, or one of the other more used areas of this forum.

it's not uncommon in a lot of guns for the ammo not to fit in the mag when you seat the bullets out to where they are touching the lands. that is probably the case in your situation.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.