Good scope for hunting and load development...

You are right about that. duplex for me. My expensive scope has all the silly lines going all over the place. I do not like. I am back to duplex.
I would look into taking some classes on using the strata lines for what their intended purpose is. Once you learn how to use them and the in purpose, you won't go back to Duplex.

I have NF Beast and 5x25 F1 ATACR both are great scopes but are too heavy for my preference in a hunting rifle. I have put Vortex Razor HD AMGs on my last two builds and been very happy with them. Good low light capabilities on all the above to where I can generally see game about 15 minutes before legal shooting hours. I went with a NF NX8 2.5x20 for my next build but will not get to try it out for a long time as the lead time on the rifle isn't until next spring. (The NX8 2.5x20 looks really goofy if you are concerned about the looks on the 4x28 model then it probably won't make your list.)

For the price range you are shopping, I suspect whatever you choose will be a quality scope in terms of glass, tracking and good magnification ranges. My only regrets so far with high end scopes has been with weight, and sometimes I struggle trying to figure out which of my rifles will bear the burden of the heavier scopes. Getting older does have its drawbacks even if I can better afford expensive toys.

For hunting I'd stick with Swarovski Zeiss Leupold. Many of the scopes mentioned here could double as a boat anchor they weigh so much. I have an ATACR on my 338/375 Ruger Target Rifle. If you hunt from a stand the heavyweights are great scopes. If you are a real hunter, you'll want a lighter optic mounted on your rifle

Most of what as been recommended I think are great choices, the better glass will provide more at twilight or fog or any less than optimal light. Zeiss FL are right up there with Swaro, S&B, Kahles etc. I buy a few things from Red Hawk rifles and they have demo scopes for really good prices in power ranges that make sense in the real world such as
DEMO ZEISS VICTORY V8 2.8-20X56 RIFLE SCOPE
MSRP: $3,499.99
$1,999.00. If you are a nightforce fan they have those as well as Swarovski Z5-Z6 and others. If you want to at least take a look, here's their sale page
https://redhawkrifles.com/demo-zeiss-victory-v8-2-8-20x56-rifle-scope/

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.