Good scope for hunting and load development...

Dirt_Nap

I'm looking to spend 2-3k max for a good hunting scope and a good load development scope for my 6.5prc. I usually like higher power for load development because my eyes are crap. I'm looking at the nx8 4-32 but not a huge fan of the looks of the mil-c. Any other opinions

I think the next scope I try will be the 4-32 NX8 with the Mil XT reticle. I also like the Mil-C...at least it looks good in the 7-35 ATACR.

What type of hunting do you do? From a stand near the truck or hiking in? What zoom are you interested in? Any must have features (illuminated reticle, etc)?

I topped my PRC with a 3-15 Leupold. Some nice scopes listed above, but many are 30oz+. You may not need to spend half of your budget depending on what you're after. Once you hit the point of diminishing returns it comes down to preference and what you're willing to spend for it.

Best quality hunting scopes (in your price range), in no particular order:

Nightforce

Leica

Swarovski

S&B

Meopta Meostar

Leupold

Please feel free to give a call, 516-217-1000, to discuss which would be best for you

I'm looking to spend 2-3k max for a good hunting scope and a good load development scope for my 6.5prc. I usually like higher power for load development because my eyes are crap. I'm looking at the nx8 4-32 but not a huge fan of the looks of the mil-c. Any other opinions
You left a lot of parameters out that are usually big swingers for people such as Focal Plane, MRAD vs MOA adjustments. With poor vision can you see an FFP reticle clearly at lower power? Are you shooting game and targrts over 500 yards a lot? How important is weight? Some of the scopes from the Military focused side are well over 2 lbs, is that an issue for your hunting style? For example if you hunt 90% of the time from a blind weight is likely not an issue.

There are a ton of very good scopes in your price range.

In the $2-3K range, there is a plethora of great scopes available. Don't be afraid to go used to get truly top of the line glass too.

A few clarifications will help. FFP or SFP? MIL or MOA? Weight limits? Illuminated reticle or no?

I have gotten several used top tier scopes under $3K including:
S&B PMII 5-25x56 DT
S&B PMII 3-20x50 MTC/LT
S&B PMII 3-20x50US MTC/LT
S&B PMII 5-20x50US MTC/LT
Premier Heritage 5-25x56
Premier Heritage Light Tactical 3-15x50

Other used scopes:
You can get Tangent Theta TT315M for under $3K
You can get March F 3-24x52 or 2.5-25x52 for under $3K
You can get Kahles K624i, K525i, K318i for under $3K
You can get NF ATACR 5-25x56 F1 for under $3k
You can get Minox ZP5 3-15x50 or 5-25x56 for under $3K
Possibly find a ZCO 4-20x50 or 5-25x56 if you are lucky
Vortex Razor AMG 6-24x50
Vortex Razor Gen 2 4.5-27x56

As far as new, plenty of great scopes under $3k if you look. Here would be where I would concentrate:
S&B PMII 5-25x56 DT
Kahles K624i 6-24x56

In all reality, unless your eyes SUCK, you really don't need over 15-20x for load development. I would take Alpha level 3-15x50 over average 25X any day. Also, depending on where you are, conditions will make a difference in usable magnification. I use a 3-15x50 Premier Heritage for load development all the time. I do not feel underpowered shooting out to 300 for groups. And have shot 15x on targets out to 1600+ often. Sure, it is not F class or Benchrest, but for steel and rocks, or coyotes and Jacks, 15x is plenty.

I think I understand, it's just my way of thinking, but good hunting scope better be good for load development !

I would stick with Nightforce, Swarovski, Kahles and maybe March...

Figure out if you want FFP or SFP. Then go with a good reticle. I prefer the H59 , Tremor 3, and a close second Mil XT. I like the SKMR 3 from Kahles.

Take a good look at the ATACR and 525i Kahles. I use the X5 from Swarovski on my hunting rifle, I love the low light performance

OH, forgot to mention, #1 in importance.....

Chose a reticle 1st. One of the most important things is a reticle you love as everytime you look into the scope that reticle is your go to. If you don't love the reticle you'll never love the scope
You are right about that. duplex for me. My expensive scope has all the silly lines going all over the place. I do not like. I am back to duplex.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.