Good rangefinder and range verified drop chart

jonoMT

Seems like these two things are essential. I've been doing a lot of research trying to find the right solution to moving out to 600 yards/meters with my .308 LTR. At first, I thought I can just learn mildot/TMR ranging and be done with it. But the Achilles heel of that system is not knowing the exact size of the animal. From other posts on this forum and doing my own calculations I could see that the error could end up being +-10%. That can easily add up to a miss or a poorly placed shot at the ranges where .308 ballistics drop off drastically.

So now rather than just finding the right scope to fit this rifle it looks like a new rangefinder is going to be essential. If I understand it correctly, accurate shot placement at 400+ yards (and let's leave wind out of it for the moment) requires:

1. Knowing the range to the target as accurately as possible (which can't be done on an elk, deer, or antelope without a good rangefinder)
  2. Having a field tested drop chart for the desired ranges
  3. A quality scope with good tracking and repeatability, target turrets (and optionally) a mil-dot or TMR reticle for a quick correction shot (or let's say the animal runs 40 yards closer or farther and requires a follow-up shot)
Jon

A Bushnell 1500 will do most of what you want except for antelope. It will not reliably range antelope in sage brush much past 400 yards. If there is a little back slope behind the antelope you can get a lot further (1200-1300 yards) but on a flat you might as well just go and find one on a hill.

A Swaro is about the best there is and will range antelope to and beyond 1K. We routinely ranged deer and elk past a mile with it.

So the decision is what are your goals over the next five years. 600 yards is a nice range and if you will be happy to stay within that distance and pass on antelope that you can't get a range on, then the Bushnell will be just fine.

Thanks for the info. I think with the LTR that's about as far as I want to go...maybe 700. Then if I'm that serious about it I'll get something flatter and upgrade the whole system. I was curious about the Bushnell but ruled out already in favor of the Leica or Swaro units. Only thing about the Leicas that puzzles me is the inability to switch between meters and yards. Even my low-end Nikon 440 does that. The Nikon, BTW could only range on antelope that were on a slope or a nearby rock and, in one case, a telephone pole at 200 yards for a solitary buck that was bedded down near a road (a fatal decision on his part).

Jon

I went with the Swaros. I was sorely tempted to go with the Leica Geovids but would rather put the extra $1160 into scope optics and other items. Eagle Optics has a good deal on those right now, although backordered. I'm actually sending back a great pair of binos I just got yesterday - some Stokes DLSes - to get this instead. I don't mind going down to monocular vision and a little less exit pupil (but mitigated by Swaro SLC glass and you can't shoot in the dark in Montana anyway) for excellent ranging and light weight.

BTW, if you are in the market for binos you can get the DLS 10x42 for $450 or Eagle has a demo pair on ebay for $409 (maybe couple that with a live.com search for 15-20% off). I looked through everything I could get my hands on recently and the only glass I liked better was the $1000 Pentax DCF EDs. My only complaint about the DLS is a slight amount of bluish fringing but they are nice in low light - glassed some deer at 800-900 yards and could see clumps of grass at 2 miles.

Jon

Well, I just bought a Leica crf1200 a few months ago and it works very good in low light conditions. But, when the sun comes out it's performance really drops. IMHO the ranging ability of the leica is only slightly better than Nikon 1200's (maybe not at all), BUT the GLASS IS MUCH BETTER. That was the reason that I went with it and I was straining my budget to get that one so the Swaro was out of the question. If you don't mind having dimn optics and don't need one that will range very far than try a Busnell or a nikon.

Now there is a new kid on the block too made by Zeiss. According to Len's article, it is very promising for $700 (similar to the Leica's price).

Good luck.
Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.