Good Low Velocity Bullet for Coyotes

7ultra

Well, the gloves are off. Come the close of bowhunting, I'm replacing arrows with bullets, deer for coyotes. I'm thinking about bringing out my new 7BR. Shots would range from 10 yards (yes, I've practically been having these coyotes licking my feet)to a possible 2-300 yard poke. That being said, I want a bullet thats not going to do a whole lot of damage to the pelt, but still shoot well. So far all I've run through the gun are 150gr BT. They shoot well, and given the low velocity, would they do a whole lot of damage to the pelt? If anyone could chime in on this, or had suggestions on what bullet to use to minimize damage, it would be appreciated.

Oh also, so not to create another thread, any suggestions on a bullet choice for a 6.5-284 for coyotes. Difference here would be that I would specifically set up for a 3-400 yard shot. So far, any run of the mill match 140 has shot well. Sooo, what would be the best for minimalizing damage at a medium range. (figure velocity would be around 2850-2900fps at the muzzle).

Thanks all

7ultra the 150bt may work well from the br. the large cal. bts are not as frangible as the .22 .243 cal class of bts.
They should musroom nicely and produce 1" exits. Unless your bullet contacts and pushes heavy bone fregs out the exit end.

For the 6.5 or the br your other option is to shoot bonded bullets that won't come apart in the critter. If the bullet stays together you often get reasonable sized exits.

Last year I tried 55gr hornaday soft points in my .223 all coyotes shot in ND and Nebraska had exits less than 1" I contribute that to not hitting heavy bone and a small bullet that mushroomed and held together.

I grew up in Lodi miss the coyote hunting down there.

7ultra, try the barnes solids, they are made just for target and varmint use so as not to expand much, read up on them, they should be just the ticket for you.

On the 6.5 you might consider the Scirrocco 130 (poly-tipped) too. have a box but have not tried the yet.

ah Shucks...or guilty as charged, and I am semi bed ridden. Man, this knee replacement is the most painful I have ever experienced. Pain meds aren't working, half the time.

In the case of either choice, a relatively heavy for caliber big game bullet will more than likely steam through both sides...unless you hit substantial bone mass. No guarantees, pick your most accurate bullet and strive for precision placement. I wouldn't spend a lot of time working up a special load with a light bullet, light jacket and explosive performance. Who knows, maybe splash wounds? You don't need that grief, even if it could be guaranteed, which it can't be, so forget it; use what you got. And, don't outsmart yourself with a low velocity handload, same deal, a lot of work for the same amount of potential failures, only different failures, like, runners.

That's all you can hope for, 75% success and a few train wrecks if they happen to move on ya.

Good luck, LB

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.