Good factory round for range

Good morning. i own a fierce fury rifle in 7mm rem mag. this rifle will be one of two rifles coming with me on a hunt this year. I want to train with the fierce rifle i own off a bipod and prone. Not looking to buy another rifle. I am looking for a good budget friendly factory round that i can take to the range to shoot paper/steel up to 500 yards. Something from hornady or federal. I have it zeroed with Barnes 160gr but it canbe expensive to shoot these all the time. What can you guys suggest that will be a good practice round? thank you
Maybe take up reloading so you can practice what you hunt with. All rounds behave differently and what a factory round may give you is a round that you will have too live with where reloading gives you so many more options and will most likely give you a more accurate round and one you can get to shoot much better. Just a thought. You didn't mention if you currently reload or not.

My hunting 7mm RM shoots the Remington CoreLokt 150 grain 1 MOA or better but Winchester X is all over the place. But that's my rifle. I suggest you test and see which factory load works best in your rifle. Now I reload everything I shoot rifle wise.

Just shoot the hornady they are far better than barnes you can shoot 175ELDX and hunt with it also.they are great long range and a superior game bullet.ou group shoots a 100 ELDX and ELDM BULLETS or so a week

Spends $4,000+ on a long range setup..... looking for $10 factory rounds that will perform out to 500? Maybe long range shooting isn't for you.
Exactly. Has the art of Reloading gone extinct? I wouldn't put a factory round in any of the Rifles I build. Even the guns I have built for customers have all been test fired with a custom loaded round. Besides he mentions wanting cheap Ammo to practice with.... how did he afford the rifle? Only to put factory Ammo in it to have it under-perform? Never out of my shop and I have built some sub .5 MOA Rifles. Go figure

My hunting 7mm RM shoots the Remington CoreLokt 150 grain 1 MOA or better but Winchester X is all over the place. But that's my rifle. I suggest you test and see which factory load works best in your rifle. Now I reload everything I shoot rifle wise.
And you are satisfied with one MOA? Do you know what one MOA is at 500 yds? My rifles shoot .25-.5 moa and having shot 1000yd Benchrest I have done quite well with them. You can get that kind of accuracy out of factory Ammo.

You can shoot 500/1000 rounds before you start using your weapon in this caliber. So the cost will not be high regardless of the cartridge used for the practice. In 308w you can shoot around 8000/10 000 cartridges for the same wear. Another weapon for practice becomes profitable. My opinion.

Step 1. Buy The Hornady Precision Rifle Ammunition
Step 2. Re-Zero your Rifle
Step 3. Save All of your Brass
Step 4. Buy some re-loading gear
Step 5. Save money
That's a big honkin round and expensive. Reloading will open a world of possibilities and the most accurate ammunition for YOUR rifle. Remember that factory ammunition is loaded to work well in most rifles. On another note YOU use the Brass, Primer, Powder, and bullet you want. A Lee Reloading Challenger set with add on's of Redding Dies, Digital Scale, and Harbor Freight tumbler put you in the game for under $350 bucks and probably could also load 200 rounds for the whole set up (before needing more supplies).

Big question is do you have more money or more time?

PS: I shoot a 280 Ackley Improved; too expensive to buy ammunition over reloading. My components are: Nosler Brass, Berger 168 gr. Hunting, Winchester Primers, and Reloader 26 powder. 25" barrel 1 in 9 twist 2856 fps

Good morning. i own a fierce fury rifle in 7mm rem mag. this rifle will be one of two rifles coming with me on a hunt this year. I want to train with the fierce rifle i own off a bipod and prone. Not looking to buy another rifle. I am looking for a good budget friendly factory round that i can take to the range to shoot paper/steel up to 500 yards. Something from hornady or federal. I have it zeroed with Barnes 160gr but it canbe expensive to shoot these all the time. What can you guys suggest that will be a good practice round? thank you
Berger if you can find them

I get excellent results with the Sierra 140gr in my 7RM guns, I have 3 but built 2 more for others. All shoot around .5 MOA as custom builds with 66 gr of IMR 4350. Suggest that a set of 7RM FL dies are a lot cheaper and time saving VS looking for a different gun or different factory loads to match or just be accurate. Oh, by my records the 145 Speer and 145 Hornady also shoot well with IMR 4350 and H-4831. These are per 100 bullet boxes, not per 50 Barnes. If your scope is repeatable, just change settings to the lighter bullet, write down change, then change back to the 160s with 5 rounds to confirm proper settings.
Ed

I would just buy the cheapest Privi or S&B stuff you can find in a reasonably close weight. Just zero and work up you dope. You may get lucky and they shoot great from your rifle. But even with 1.5 moa you can hit 8 and 10" kill zone sized plates out to 400 and 500 yards. As the season approaches switch back to the Barnes.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.