Going down the pistol rabbit hole

sierracharlie338

Ok so after about the past year of bouncing around back and forth on several different builds I think I'm going to start a pistol build for plinking and varmint popping. My dad has an original xp-100 in 221 fireball that I will add to the stable one day but hopefully that's a ways down the road.

Here's the catch: I have a 722 action I would like to use instead of buying new. It has a 223 bolt face so I'm sticking with that and most likely will chamber in the venerable Triple Deuce because I have more components for that cartridge than you can shake a stick at.

Is there any issue using this action as the starting point? I'd like to go with a center grip McMillan stock if I can find one or an XLR chassis as I have a couple of those in rifle configuration and am a fan.

Everything else I'm open to suggestios and ideas on. If I can't make the 722 work I guess I'll have to start a 6GT 😀

The 722 action won't fit in a McMillan centergrip stock. At this point I'd think your best best is a chassis of some sort. Just make sure you keep the oal long enough to legally be a rifle otherwise you'll need to get nfa stamp for a sbr.

Good luck on your build

If you want a center-grip you will need to find a single-shot XP-100 action or buy a Borden Alpine (Clone XP-100 action).
If you don't want to worry about oal or barrel length since you have a rifle action with that 722, just go with a non-designated short action and everything will be easier (Like Aaron has said above).

What barrel length were you considering?

I'm open to suggestions Ernie. I don't get any heartburn thinking about a 16.5 inch build on a chassis.

If I end up going with the Borden alpine it will be a 308 bolt face and I'll be starting over on planning the build hahaha!!

I still prefer center-grip more for shooting from a variety of field positions better than rear grip.
I tend to hunt much more with a center-grip as well.
They both have their pros and cons.

I'm open to suggestions Ernie. I don't get any heartburn thinking about a 16.5 inch build on a chassis.

If I end up going with the Borden alpine it will be a 308 bolt face and I'll be starting over on planning the build hahaha!!
I do not know much about LR pistols but I do know @Ernie is one of our resident SME. IIRC, @yorke-1 is too. Good luck on your project build.

Ed

I still prefer center-grip more for shooting from a variety of field positions better than rear grip.
I tend to hunt much more with a center-grip as well.
They both have their pros and cons.
That's pretty much what I've been reading as well. Looks like I may end up with both at this point 😀
I do not know much about LR pistols but I do know @Ernie is one of our resident SME. IIRC, @yorke-1 is too. Good luck on your project build.

Ed
Thanks bud!

That's pretty much what I've been reading as well. Looks like I may end up with both at this point 😀

Thanks bud!

Both is good!
What chambering are you considering for the center-grip?
Do you have a smith in mind?
Once you order it, the Borden could be close to a year...Just as a heads up!
McMillan stock is about 6-9 months, once you know what color you want.
I am getting ready to a group order in the next week or so.

Both is good!
What chambering are you considering for the center-grip?
Do you have a smith in mind?
Once you order it, the Borden could be close to a year...Just as a heads up!
McMillan stock is about 6-9 months, once you know what color you want.
I am getting ready to a group order in the next week or so.
So I have everything to load for a 6GT and just have not built one. I'm leaning heavily toward that but curious what the short barrel will do to velocity of that round. Definitely not set on one just yet either

I can give you MV's (103-108 grain bullets) for 15", 16", and 18": 6 Dasher, 6XC, 6mm Long Dasher, and 6 Creed.
I don't have a 6 GT
I do have a couple of 22GT's though