Scopes for the magnum pistol

I have used 2x fixed and 4x fixed Leupold handgun scopes on a FA 454 Casull: load 300 grain XTP 1775 MV-with no problems at all.

All scopes brands will have problems from time to time.

One reason why scopes go down (besides a flaw from the factory or being exceptionally cheap) is because a person has taken either the elev or right/left adjustment to the point of being bottomed out. the mount system is not always properly aligned, some times becasue of the mount and other times because the holes are off.
If you run the adjustments all the eway to the end, it is does not allow the springs to work (Like loading a truck down till it is resting on its axles, then going down a bumpy or washboard road) and it will break.

Soon, I will be putting four different brands of variables on a FA Model 83 454 Casull. I will post the results when all is said and done.

Thanks, I bought the laminate grips cuz they looked nice,well with them the 45/70 Barrel its a handfull. I'd recommend staying with the Rubber grips with the bigger calibers.They work great for my .243 barrel though.

You are correct xphunter. I have over corrected a scope on one of my 22 rifles and it hasn't worked correctly since. Correct mount and ring aliegnment is also important. I also epoxy all my scopes in the rings to elminate movement of the scope under recoil.

Yes VSSF the wood crips look nice but the rubber crips do dampen the felt recoil and aid in the control of the weapon. I use a light hand hold on my pistols and find wood grips slid around in my hand making for inconsistancy.

>>scopes on a non-braked
The physics is clear and undisputed, brakes help perceived recoil but do nothing to mitigate stress on the rings/optics. There is a debate on whether they make stress worse or not.

I need glass for my 500 S&W with a 12" pipe Shawn built for me. It's so heavy it's not a brutal as you might think. After reading a bunch of bad reviews on Burris Handgun 2-7x32mm Illuminated Scopes - Electro-Dot Reticle I've ruled it out.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.