Go to rings for Ruger 77 mark 2

408w

What is everyone running for rings on a Ruger 77 mark 2? Mounting the scope for a friend. Looks to be a 13mm dovetail rail??
I have picatinny rails on everything.

Listen to stk...... forget the weegie-tinny junk and leupold garbage.....

IMG_2544_zpsmqaemecn.jpg

IMG_2484_zps4ypmldyx.jpg

I went back to factory ruger rings on my 338 win mag. The leupold mounts I had on it before wouldn't stay tight.

I have never had ruger rings loosen like the leupolds did. I used lock-tite and torqued to specs.

Alaska Arms has some nice rings too for the M77. I have a set on a CZ.

Ruger makes very robust rings but you have to lapp them very well or they will mark the hell out of any scope. They are very tough but the fit and finish are definitely substandard. Warne makes a good ring but I really dislike the look of them. Despite that, it is what I have on my 375 LH guide gun. I don't know of a better ring made for the Ruger 77s.

The Warnes also go on and off at exactly the same POI, so when I switch to the open sights in the heavy willow tangles I don't have to worry about resighting the scope when I put it back on.

Last edited:
Only ever used Ruger rings when I had a mk ll and never had a problem other than this 🔽🔽
Ruger makes very robust rings but you have to lapp them very well or they will mark the hell out of any scope

Make sure you lap the rings as mentioned above. I forgot to mention that in my earlier post.
Most definitely lap if you get Ruger rings.

Never had a problem with Ruger rings but my Warne QD 30mm rings fit the scope better. Had them on a mini and a 416 No. 1 and they were solid as a rock.

Always just used Ruger rings (yes, lapped...) on any application that I considered "permanent" and never experienced an issue. If you take them off and then re-attach, they are usually only about a single MOA off.

I do have a #1 that is one of my main and favourite hunting rifles, and I keep two scopes sighted-in and ready for it at all times in Alaska Arms QD rings. The QD levers are a bit obtrusive (as most QD levers are) but they come off and then go back on with virtually undetectable shift in POA. Good quality stuff.