Go gauge for 6.5-284 question?

engineer40

I need to purchase some Gauges for a new 6.5-284 Norma barrel I have coming.

I've read 100 opinions about this but have not found a clear answer. Most of the Go Gauges I see for sale either say "284 Win" or "6.5-284 Win". Does anyone sell 6.5-284 Norma gauges?

Some people say any of the gauges will work just fine. Then there are plenty of people that point out the obvious case dimension differences between the 6.5-284 Win wildcat and the SAAMI spec 6.5-284 Norma.

Thanks everyone! I appreciate any advice!

Nothing? I thought this one would be easy for you guys! :)

Someone here has to have installed a barrel chambered for 6.5-284 Norma before...

Thanks!

My personal 6.5x284 was chambered with 6.5x284 Win reamer and I use nothing but Lapua brand 6.5x284 Norma brass. It works perfect. It and others built just like it all shoot extremely well.

I can't find it right now but I once came across a video showing chambers cut with both reamers and both gauges measured exactly the same in each chamber. I will continue looking for it.

I need to purchase some Gauges for a new 6.5-284 Norma barrel I have coming.

I've read 100 opinions about this but have not found a clear answer. Most of the Go Gauges I see for sale either say "284 Win" or "6.5-284 Win". Does anyone sell 6.5-284 Norma gauges?

Some people say any of the gauges will work just fine. Then there are plenty of people that point out the obvious case dimension differences between the 6.5-284 Win wildcat and the SAAMI spec 6.5-284 Norma.

Thanks everyone! I appreciate any advice!

A headspace gauge doesn't consider case dimension other than the length from the base to the shoulder. There is no difference in the length of a 284 Winchester chamber and a 6.5-284 Norma chamber. As for those people who point out the differences in SAAMI specs, I'd like to see them. I don't think SAAMI even lists a 6.5-284 Norma. You have to look at CIP for those specs and they are the same as a 284 Winchester.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.