Giraud TriWay chamfer question.

GoatPilot87

Hey guys I've searches for my answer in multiple places, but wanted to personally ask myself also. I've just started using my Giraud TriWay trimmer/chamfer/debur tool and the chamfer isn't uniform all the way around. During my search I've found it could be I'm not spinning the case (with my hand) at the end of the cutting before I pull it out, my expander rod in my FL die is bent, or my brass is significantly thicker in the neck or out of whack in some way. My response to those things are I've experimented with how I do the "wrist twist"...no change. For the expanding rod being bent, it's brand new, only sized 50 cases and they had been de primed BEFORE being full length sized. And lastly the brass is Lake City .308 M118lr brass, and for those who don't know that brass is mil. issue for snipers (only fired in bolt actions not ballooned to hell in a MG, and the primers are not crimped). I just bought a new RCBS Full Length die to try and have as a backup so that's the next step before I bug Doug Giraud. I'm a diesel tech so I like to tinker myself before I bug the company. Thanks guys. I'll try to post some pics of the brass.

Attachments

• 20141128_134130.jpg
    20141128_134130.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 102
  • 20141128_134027.jpg
    20141128_134027.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 111
Case on left is the thinner chamfer of the inside of the neck, pic on right is how deep it has gone out of uniformity. This is two pictures, of the same case. Here is another case of a different brand, not sized in my die. It's dented on the mouth now only because I dug it out of the trash. It was perfectly round when put in the Giraud.

Attachments

• 20141128_134835.jpg
    20141128_134835.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Mine does exactly the same thing when my brass is not concentric as a result of the brass or my brass prep process. I no longer size and use the expander in the same step and have more concentric brass. Try pulling the expander out of your die, resize the brass, then put the expander back in and run the expander ball back down through the neck or better yet use an expander mandrel and die to expand the neck. It greatly reduces runout on case necks for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.