getting too technical

10X

I just got my cabella's fall catalogue and noticed all the gadgetry is getting out of control. Do people realy need all these gadgets to go hunting. If so how have we done with out them for thousands of years. I dont wear camo I dont use cent block and I walk I dont atv it. who has the most gadgets

Seems to me that gadget collecting is a hobby in its self, i do believe you can carry to much gadgetry with you.
I wear cammo clothing, have a decent long range rifle with good optics, a good set of bino's. a good knife. lazer range finder, wind meter is handy and a compass is essencial.
some folk carry a PDA, a GPS, and all sorts of other stuff, well i guiess its down to individual choice..
Pete

Ahhhh.... Gadgets, I love'em.

There is certainly a minimum of gear a fella needs, protection from the elements, a device/method to dispatch the critter seems a must. A fella also would be well served to have a knowledge of the critter(s) being hunted and where the fella fits within the local fauna food chain. I'd also assume some knowledge of the local or remote hunting area would be nice if the hunter expects to return with any consistency.

I'd guess that thousands of years ago a fella stepped out to go hunting with his buddies;

Guys Howdy Sam!

Sam Howdy guys!

G What's that you're wearing??

S Loin cloth. Keeps the thorns from tearing up Special Purpose items!

G Wellll, okay but you notice we don't need one.

S Ya I know, I just thought I'd try it out and you all remember what happened to Old Stubby and how his wife left him after that hunt over on Thorn Hill years ago.

.... years later

S Howdy guys!

G Howdy Sam. What's with that skinny spear you got there??

S Oh... Well I got to thinking that we don't hunt the giant cave bear so taking our giant cave bear spears along every time we hunt Spotted Owls and Pandas seems like extra work. I took the flint off one of my cave bear spear and put it on a fish spear! I can throw the fish spear twice as far as the cave bear spear but it's still tough enough to drive the big flint into a bear if one bothers us. Seemed like a good idea! BTW, nice loin cloth WonNut, is that a new one?

.... later

G Hey Sam, how's it going??

S Pretty gooood! The new mail order business is going well, big rush on the Load Stone and Water container thing this last week. Seems a lot of guys in the area were getting lost on hunts, you remember that last fella we met that was lost, "Douglas Corrigan" if I remember correctly. They're easy to spot, they come and then they pass once they discover it's still not the right place... poor guys.

G Let's go hunting...

S Okay, we're outta here.

G Sam! What's that on the back of your loin cloth?? Ohhhh, it's a pouch I sewed on to hold the Load Stone thing, good idea huh!

On the more serious side.

I can hunt with a minimum of stuff, loin cloth and slippers a rifle, bow, spear or knife if I want but I don't.

I don't wear camo clothing or scent shield(s). I do try to bring along enough to make the job and situation easier (within reason).

I carry a knife, very often a LASER, a rifle/shotgun/bow and a rope to drag the beast back out. If I'm going out of my geographic area I bring a compass, a GPS (and extra batteries), a flashlight.

I view the gadgets as tools to make the sitution easier and extend my hunting area. When I travel to Alberta, Colorado, Texas or where ever I bring the GPS and have access to maps. I can then freely move around in big areas (many square miles) and not fear getting displaced and spending the night in the bush. If I didn't have the GPS along I'd be stuck to "working my way out" to the remote regions a little at a time getting to know the intervening area(s) as I go.

There is such a thing as too much but that's what they make packs and pockets for I guess.

Just so you'll know... I've never taken a full size computer into the field on a hunt, that would be too much.
smile.gif

[ 09-11-2004: Message edited by: Dave King ]

Oh brother, is right! Define "full size".

Of the electronics, I'd consider a cell phone over a GPS, if limited to just one. Batteries seem to be the Achilles heel of depending on your high tech gear. The most useful plan I ever came up with, to keep from getting lost, is to turn around and take a good look at where you have been, every once in a while. LB

There are a lot of places where if you're a new fella to the area and simply taking a look at your back trail is not going to keep you from getting lost if you venture more than a few hours into the woods. Hunting in flat ares with run of the mill featureless areas (Great Dismal Swamp) being one and also the hundreds of square miles of Boreal forest in Alberta... These places seem to look the same no matter which direction you look. Hunting in an area with mountains, roads, hills or other features helps but you'll not be able to use anything like that where it's flat. A compass is very handy, GPS is a technical marvel and certainly worth the trouble to carry.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.