Getting to 500m

skip AI

G'day,
I have a Sako L691 in 25-06 AI topped with a S&B Precision Hunter 2.5-10 X 56, all up with bipod it ways 14lbs.
I have been playing around with Point Blank and made up a bit of a range card, I am running 85gn BT's at 3600fps and the software was spot on at 250m (6 clicks up from 100m zero),and it says I will have to go up roughly 33 clicks for a 500m zero does this estimate sound right?
Tha temperature I shot at 250m with was 41'C which is filthy hot, took forever to cool down between shots, how much would high temps like this of effected accuracy?

I mainly shoot varmints to 300m so a 500m shot is new to me.

BTW, whats a good target for shooting 500m? cross, square ect?

Any input is appreciated

cheers

I shot the 85g ctbtips for quitea while out of my old Ruger 25-06. It shot them at 3775 with a stiff load of RL-19. Gave under .5 groups at 100, and could hit coyotes at 600 yards. I did not do a lot of fast type shooting with it because I knew they were a barrel burner. However, for 3 shot groups, I did not find any accuracy loss due to heat. I usually wait 1 minute between shots. Now when I was coyote hunting that was a different story. If I missed the 1st shot, I still had 4 in the magazine. I dont care who you are or what gun your shooting, hitting a running coyote is basically luck. They run into your bullet basically. Ha ha ha. There were times I shot 5 shots pretty dang fast and yes the barrel was pretty hot and usually them yotes got away on the run. It would not be my first choice for a long series shooting pdog gun, but the bullet will get youa lot farther then 500 yards. It will coyotes to 800 I imagine, and pdogs to 1000.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.