Getting the Best Precision and Accuracy from VLD bullets in Your Rifle

vitaminado

Load 24 rounds at the following COAL if you are a hunter (pulling a bullet out of the case with your rifling while in the field can be a hunt ending event which must be avoided) or a competition shooter who worries about pulling a bullet during a match:
1. .010 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds
2. .050 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds
3. .090 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds
4. .130 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds

Shoot 2 (separate) 3 shot groups in fair conditions to see how they group. The remarkable reality of this test is that one of these 4 COALs will outperform the other three by a considerable margin. Once you know which one of these 4 COAL shoots best then you can tweak the COAL +/- .002 or .005. Taking the time to set this test up will pay off when you find that your rifle is capable of shooting the VLD bullets very well (even at 100 yards).

I want to follow this method to get a good load in my 338 wm.
bullet hornady sst 200gr
I have a doubt:
With what initial charge of powder do I test?
This is the reload table that has sent the powder RS.
Is the powder we have in Spain at the moment

Attachments

• 338 Win Mag Hornady SST 200gr RS60 (66.5gr start load) - eng.pdf
    64.4 KB · Views: 293
Last edited:
There are different thoughts on what order to do this. I do my load work up at the longest oal and then adjust seating depth shorter to tighten the group.

I will add one other thing. If it does not group well with 2 shots there is no point in shooting more. Just a waste of resources. Unless you made a poor shot.

Steve

Load 24 rounds at the following COAL if you are a hunter (pulling a bullet out of the case with your rifling while in the field can be a hunt ending event which must be avoided) or a competition shooter who worries about pulling a bullet during a match:
1. .010 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds
2. .050 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds
3. .090 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds
4. .130 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds

Shoot 2 (separate) 3 shot groups in fair conditions to see how they group. The remarkable reality of this test is that one of these 4 COALs will outperform the other three by a considerable margin. Once you know which one of these 4 COAL shoots best then you can tweak the COAL +/- .002 or .005. Taking the time to set this test up will pay off when you find that your rifle is capable of shooting the VLD bullets very well (even at 100 yards).

I want to follow this method to get a good load in my 338 wm.
bullet hornady sst 200gr
I have a doubt:
With what initial charge of powder do I test?
This is the reload table that has sent the powder RS.
Is the powder we have in Spain at the moment

I followed that rule in my 28 Nosler, I wasted a lot of powder and bullets. My rifle and what I am reading in various forums, the most accurate are between .020 and .010 jump. My rifle likes .020. If you notice, in the above scenario, you go from .010 to .030, that is what cost me more powder and bullets, the group was no better for my rifle from those two settings and following through with the others did no better. Then went back and loaded some in .020 is when I found it. To save you some time and expense, I would do as the another person suggested and load some at Max OAL and go from there.

Great, thank you so much.

With the max OAL, With what initial charge of gunpowder do I test not to have high pressure? ;
60gr, 61gr,62gr....?

The powder charge is something you will need to figure out, I would not go over Max load, if it was my rifle, I would start around mid range for that load and work in half grain increments until you found the velocity and groups you are happy with without high pressure.

I follow the same seating depth as others starting at the longest say .005 and work shorter by .010 etc till the group opens up and then decided which way to tweak it. My powder charge is a medium charge at best keeping it the same charge through out the seating test. The idea is to find the best seating depth. So powder charge should be consistent. Once I'm close on seating depth I then start adjusting powder charges. I find the longer COAL has more pressure signs.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts