General hunting scope

Getting a new 6.5 PRC Browning X-Bolt Pro (should be here next week) so I bought a
Bushnell Elite 4.5 - 18 x 44 scope, FFP, illuminated G3 mil reticle and 30 mm tube.

Believe me I LOOKED 'til I was blue in the face for a good scope, ordered and returned a SIG Tango6 3 - 18 x 44, illuminated, FFP, 34 mm tube but it was HEAVY! (38 oz.)

My Bushnell Elite LRTS is only 27 oz. and has glass equal to the Tango6.

Oh, yeah, the Bushnell was about $500. less.
Eric B.

Last edited:
You may try and look at Valdada they have great glass and make a whole line for hunting. The glass is made at Schott Zeiss no complaints on the glass the construction of the scope is pure European engineering and built to last. The internal erector assembly is too notch with 100% repeatable accuracy. I have an 3.5-18x56 34 mm tube FFP Tactical scope and have taken many deer with it. My rings came free with the scope.
My experience with their customer service was pretty wonky - the kept trying to communicate with the mother land and get information for me. I am guessing they ship their scopes of of country for service? Val was nice enough, but kept acting like his hands were tied. It was so much of a hassle that I currently don't have one as part of my arsenal and will never own another one. Just one man's experience...

If you are planning to do elk one day, depending on the type of hunt you choose, considering weight may be worthwhile.

I hunt hard country, and the first year I went I took a very heavy rifle with a very heavy Nightforce on top. The long shots I was banking on never materialized, but I sure felt the weight of that rig by the end of my trip.

Since then, I've paid much more attention to weight. I have a medium weight rifle that wears a Swaro Z5 ballistic turret (16oz) in 3.5x18. If you hunt around for a good demo deal you can probably find one for $1100. I can dial to approx 700yds and that is beyond what I'm comfortable shooting with the unfortunate little practice I get nowadays. My clumsy butt has fallen on it a bunch of times, and it's always held zero!

I recently bought a lightweight rifle in 300 Win Mag, and split the difference with a Zeiss V6 3-18. It gives me a little more flexibility to dial out for the day I am practiced enough to do so. 22oz and to my eyes the glass is very good. A little more spendy.

Go look at a ton of options to see what you like - that's half the fun.

Good luck

Brandon

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.