GCBS Gold Medal Seating die and Berger VLDs

Jeremybj

Greetings,

I recently purchased a set of Redding comp dies for my 7mm STW. I used a buddies RCBS Gold Medal seating die and fell in love with the bullet window.

I am curious if anybody is using the Gold Medal seating die for the Berger 168 and 180 Hunting VLD bullets in the 7s and what are the results.

I am worried about deforming the bullet or inconsistent seating depth.

I know Redding makes a VLD seating stem, is that available in the RCBS brand as well?

I am going to duplicate post this in the 7mm STW section, please forgive me!

Thanks for everything,
Jeremy

jeremybj,
As far as we know Redding is the only one offering a VLD seating stem option. Forster dies come with a seating stem that is compatible with the VLD and standard style bullets but we suggest you check by removing the stem and see if the bullet nose "bottoms out" in the stem or not. You will have to contact an RCBS reloading equipment tech and check if their stem is compatible or if they make one that is for the VLD as an option as the Redding. The RCBS 2015 catalog does not say their stem is compatible with our VLD bullets nor do they have a replacement seating stem listed. RCBS CONTACT INFORMATION IS 800-379-1732 OR [email protected].

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.