215 Berger seating die and stem preference?

CastIronSkillet

My next 300 winny venture is to try the 215 Bergers. I have put it off due to the cost per bullet but, I dont think I can fight the urge anymore.

My question is what seating die/stem combo works best for this projectile? I am currently using the hornady with the micro adjust and the eld-m stem for the... wait for it, eld-m bullet. I am not a big fan of this die in the 300 win mag., it gets hung up when I draw the round out of the die too fast. I have to pull it out of the press, disassemble, un-wedge the seating stem, and reassemble.

It works just fine in the shorter 308 win but not so much in the longer 300 win for some reason.

I use either a modified seater, or a specific VLD stem.
I normally order one through whichever companies dies I am using.
I use RCBS, Redding & Forster Benchrest style micrometer sweaters.
It is quite easy to spin a seater with polish/1000 grit emery and change the profile to suit your chosen bullet.

Cheers.

It is quite easy to spin a seater with polish/1000 grit emery and change the profile to suit your chosen bullet.

Cheers.
How do you spin a seater? How do you keep it concentric?

Who makes a specific vld stem and does it work well with the hybrid of the 215?

Sorry for so many questions.

Cheers.

Agreed. I prefer Redding but I have been using the new Match Hornady sets with the PRC and have not found them to be less quality than the Reddings but are a fraction of the cost. I will reserve being fully sold until I have more rounds made(currently only around 1k).

I just went through this with a 28 Nosler seating die set I bought a couple of days ago. Ordered online, so I can't give any review of it. I haven't received it yet.

I bought a die set with a Redding Competition Seater + a VLD stem. Pretty sure it only works with the "Competition" sets with the floating seat stems.

VLD Stem for 300 Win is: Part #: 55730

Chart:
https://www.redding-reloading.com/tech-line-a-tips-faqs/198-vld-competition-seater-chart

2 ways to spin up a stem to polish it, a lathe or a drill press.
Keeping it concentric is simple.
You can sacrifice a bullet and use it's nose profile to polish the seater stem too.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.