Garmin Xero - update

Has anyone else noticed that the Garmin SD's report lower than LRadar? Two of us shot with his (Garmin) and mine (LR) using both on one rifle and then both on the other rifle. Velocities were very close, but Garmin SD's were 10-15% reported lower than LRadar. When we later entered the velocities from both into an Excel spreadsheet, the LRadar SD's were correct and the Garmin's were too low

Has anyone else noticed that the Garmin SD's report lower than LRadar? Two of us shot with his (Garmin) and mine (LR) using both on one rifle and then both on the other rifle. Velocities were very close, but Garmin SD's were 10-15% reported lower than LRadar. When we later entered the velocities from both into an Excel spreadsheet, the LRadar SD's were correct and the Garmin's were too low
This will be a deal killer if it turns out to be true across the board.

Now -- about reading the manual: I think it says in the Man's User Manual that you are not allowed to read the manual for new toys.

Being in the software business I'm curious as to if this is a possible rounding/algorithm issue. I know in our business rounding can be a pia. Issues such as how far out you carry rounding both on read velocities and in the SD calc itself. So a 10-15% on an SD of 10 would be 1 to 1.5, so would 11.5, 10, 8.5 be that much of an issue? If you carry it further then an SD of 20 could be a plus or minus 3, making SD in the 17-23 range. Would you mind listing the velocity read outs of each device and I'm guessing you had cleared both devices before doing the experiment. Also, would be interested to see if the divergence of the two device beams could have been affecting any of the velocities recorded. I'm guessing they are both in the same frequency so could there be crossover issues with the readings. Just asking these questions as it just popped into my mind. Also how was the rounding set up in Excel?

Last edited:
Had the Garmin as well
Super easy to use on many shots
The Garmin App has Xero issues, not like my labradar app
I get so frustrated with the LR app I just use it manually.
LR is very finicky as well, I have to get it perfectly set up with additional equipment for it to run good.

I am so glad I got the Garmin, xero regrets for sure!
I see what you did there; clever.

There's also an easy solution. Shoot with just the Garmin, and record its velocities for a small group (3) and resultant SD. Then, put the velocities into Excel and compare. Garmin MAY be using STDEVP instead of STDEV. We didn't go that far.
1702656611649.png

Interesting you say that. How do we know, with absolute certainty, which one is correct? Point is we don't. Lots of folks assume that the LR is the reference. Says who? The differences are so small it may not matter much. It certainly won't make that much difference to me. Your milage may vary.

Picked mine up from Cabela's about a month ago...best accessory I've bought in a long time. Have the Magneto speed sporter...big improvement! Literally takes 15 seconds to set up and you're shooting. Only time mine has failed is when I was shooting my 44mag rifle and I went above the lower range limit of 1700fps to a load over 1800fps. Couldn't figure out why it wouldn't read. Finally remembered to switch to the upper speed range and it read every one. MY mistake.

One question...Do people really put their chronographs downrange at the target?? Guess I always thought that finding the velocity at the target was the purpose of ballistics programs. Never heard of that before.

Picked mine up from Cabela's about a month ago...best accessory I've bought in a long time. Have the Magneto speed sporter...big improvement! Literally takes 15 seconds to set up and you're shooting. Only time mine has failed is when I was shooting my 44mag rifle and I went above the lower range limit of 1700fps to a load over 1800fps. Couldn't figure out why it wouldn't read. Finally remembered to switch to the upper speed range and it read every one. MY mistake.

One question...Do people really put their chronographs downrange at the target?? Guess I always thought that finding the velocity at the target was the purpose of ballistics programs. Never heard of that before.
Most ballistics programs have a block to fill in the "distance from the barrel ". Or they assume that the device is next to the barrel.

Recent Posts