G7BR2 or Leica 1600

I went to eastern washington this weekend with my G7 BR2. I was able to range tree lines and small buildings at 2,158yds. I consistently hit hillsides in bright sunlight out to 1,760yds (im sure it could go farther but that was at the time the farthest range i could find). Ranged a 16" steel plate at 1,611yds. Tested the ballistic compensation, it's rated to 1,400yds, i was able to get an MOA shooting solution at 1,385yds. I would say that the BR2 does everything it is advertised to do. I got to hand it to Gunwerks for not overestimating their product, it does exactly what they say it does.

As a nice bonus, if you want to shoot farther than 1,400yds with the unit, after every range you hit it stores the environmental conditions. What is nice about that is if you wanted to shoot say 2,000yds, you can range the target to get the distance then quickly scroll through the temp and barometric pressure that is stored in the unit and input it into the "field conditions" area of a ballistic PDA.

One thing i did notice was that for some reason it would range yellowish grassy hills easier than green grassy hills or sage brush.

The speed of the BR2 with the ballistic compensation is a HUGE advantage for a long range hunter but if you are after a unit that will be an 'ultimate rangefinder' than i agree you have to look at the Vectronix. 2k was too steep for me for only a rangefinder, for that price i would personnally want something more like a rangefinding bino (swaro el range).

I also got a G7BR2. The on board ballistic calculator is excellent, as are the ranging capabilities as has been previously stated. For most all practical hunting shots it's hard to beat if you can afford it.

Thanks for all of the info everyone. I just ordered the Vectronix Terrapin for myself and the G7 BR2 for my brother. So I will get to work both of them over and see which one I like best.

Thanks, Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.