• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED Fs 338 Edge

alf

Jerry's Gun Shop blue printed the bolt and action, surfaced ground and pinned the recoil lug, and re-chambered the barrel to, at the time, called a 300/338 Ultra Mag. I always thought that was backwards, but my Redding dies are marked the same. What ever you want to call it, it's still a 300 Ultra necked up to 338, with no other changes.
Redding had made a small run of dies (10 I think) thinking Rem. was just going to neck up the 300. Wrong. I happened to snag the last 3 die deluxe set from them.
Brass was the next problem. I finally found one box of 300's loaded with 180 Partitions. I pulled the bullets,(I never told Rem, 19 were 180's, 1 was a 200 gr!) necked them up & shot those 20 rds. 7 times each until unprimed brass became available. The gun, up till now, has only been shot 255 rounds total.
I've got 20 rds. loaded with 210 gr. Partitions. This brass is shot twice, loaded for the third firing.
25 rds. loaded with 200 gr. Ballistic Tips. This brass is shot once, loaded for the second firing.
25 rds. unprimed. Shot twice.
Package deal.
Gun, brass, loaded rounds, and Redding Custom Deluxe 3 die set.
Gun is sold.

Last edited:
338 edge

you call this a 338 edge

but you stste it it is a 300/378

on here the EDGE is something different...isn't it?

are you saying brass is hard to find for this?
why can't any 300 brass be used? will 300 wm brass work?

I guess I need more eductaion on this gun called teh 338 edge

can anyone else help out with an answer here?

thanks

The EDGE is Shawn Carlocks name for a .300 RUM necked up to .338, which is what Alf says this is:

"What ever you want to call it, it's still a 300 Ultra necked up to 338, with no other changes."

The EDGE also includes whatever gunsmithing things Shawn does to the rifle. I don't know how those things compare to what has been done to this particular rifle.

This looks like a great price for what is essentially the same chambering as the EDGE, but I'm not knowledgable enough to tell you more than that.

Bill

Bill,
I think you explained it well.

Upstate guy,
I called my gun an Edge, because most people over here are familar with that chambering, not because it's one of Shawn's creations.
I thought I explained the history and background on this gun and chambering pretty well.

I said the barrel is stamped 300/338 Ultra Mag. You can see that in the picture. I said I thought it was backwards, as in maybe 338/300 Ultra Mag instead. Also, my Redding die box says 30/338 Ultra Mag.

Brass WAS hard to find eight years ago, not now.
You need to use 300 Rem. Ultra Mag Brass only, necked to 338, with NO OTHER CHANGES.

Maybe I'll just keep the **** thing.

Al.

I know you said no trades, but what the heck. Any chance you would be interested in a 300 rum, remington CDL, with holland brake, and 1.5lb trigger job for partial trade?

if not at least this keeps it on top. thanks, jon

Yes, it's still for sale.
And no, I'm still not trading. Sorry Jon.
Anybody REALLY interested, PM your phone #.
I'm tired of finger tag.

Al

Thanks for clearing the confusion on the Edge case etc. I thought it was 338 RUM case but in reading a previous post somewhere I found its the 300 RUM case necked up. I guess the 300 case is longer.