Freedom isn't free

Thanks Grandpa….I sure miss you! Not the beaches of Normandy nor a German snipers bullet was enough to stop you. It took diabetes and old age to take you away from us. Today, I'll be sure and tell your Great-Granddaughter the stories you told me when I was just a boy.

D74482BB-975B-407D-B821-2CCC541179BF.jpeg

With the utmost LOVE and respect. I wouldn't be here if it weren't for you. Thank You for the life and freedoms you have given me, my family and friends here. R.I.P!

I have had several family members who served in the military, but the 3 that come 1st for me to remember on Memorial day are:

My dad Orville Tougaw, who spent 3 years in Italy and Germany during WWII, missing the birth of his oldest child.
My uncle R.L. Moore who was killed on Okinawa during WWII by a sniper
My brother in law Jerry Karnes, who was on the Pueblo when it was captured by the North Koreans, and spent a year in their prison

I am so thankful for all of the veterans who sacrificed for our liberty.
Dennis

My family has a strong military history from before the Spanish American war and up to current times, we haven't missed a generation. It's never really talked about, no one is encouraged to serve and in fact sometimes the opposite is recommended. But, we do what we want I guess. Recent history has my Marine grandpa making 7 landings in the pacific during WW2 and his brother served in Korea, my dad served during Vietnam but fought the Cold War. My brother served in theater during Gulf War 1 and myself in some of the various Operations after, my daughter is serving now as a SWO in the Navy. Some feel the need to serve and some don't and I think that's OK, I think all who enjoy the freedom and liberty provided by US servicemembers worldwide and are thankful for it are reason enough for most that do serve. As for those who don't recognize what has been provided to them at sometimes extreme prices and aren't thankful for it, well if they need help packing their bags just ask, I'm sure there are plenty of people who would selflessly help them in their time of need one more time......

My thanks also to those who have served, are serving and will serve, God Bless.