Free floating and glass bedding 300 win Mag Remington 700 DDL

mosh338

I have a Remington 700 300 Win Mag BDL with 26" standard hunting barrel. Th gun shot MOA groups out of the box. Recently I had the action glass bed and free floated by a reputable gun smith. However I have found that the accuracy has not improved but gotten worse!! The gun is now shooting 1.5-2 inch groups at 100 yards which is not that great

I would really appreciate any comments

it changes the vibration chractoristics of your barrel and it could be that you will need to start load development over again. If the gunsmith did it right i have no doubt your going to find loads as good and probably better then it shot before. Ive seem my own guns that were bedded shoot about the same or shoot better overall. Ive yet to see one that shot worse and if it did id be suspect as to how good of a job the guy did bedding it. I wouldnt take any big swings at it yet. First try varying the powder charge your using up and down a grain and maybe try a differnt brand primer. One last thing. Ive seen some guns after being bedded that need a couple dozen rounds shot before the gun settled into the bedding. After say 20 rounds try retightening your screws. IF they were at all loose that could be your problem.

Are you handloading or shooting factory ammo? What grain bullets? As stated before, the barrel vibrations have been changed and you will need to find a load that maximizes the preference.

Thanks for the comments.

Yes I do handload. Ive been using Sierra 180 game kings loaded with 74gr of Somchem 385 ( a powder available in South Africa which has a similar burn rate to AAR2213) with federal large magnum primers. I guess ill try and vary the powder and see if I can improve my groups. Interestingly enough the last 2 times that ive been to the range after bedding the rifle have been very foggy. Although the fog had lifted somewhat I found my scope slightly hazy from the fog, I wonder if that had anything to do with the sub standard grouping?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts