Found Some Primers, Fed 215. Questions.

Josh Smith

Hi All,

Found some primers. Bought 1k Federal LPP and 1K LRP from the local friendly gunstore.

The Federal rifle primers are the #215. They're not match, but they'll work. However, I have no experience with these.

My loads are rather mild according to Hodgdon, though they are not weak. 45 grains Varget backing 150 grain pills and 43.5 grains Varget backing 174 grain SMKs in 7.62x54r.

Do I need to adjust my loads at all and work back up? They're actually below minimum according to Hodgdon but starting load according to others.

Thanks,

Josh

It's likely that the 215's wouldn't put your moderate load in a high pressure state, but I would recommend that you back off a couple of grains to test them anyway. I have tried using magnum primers in my 308 using Varget, and seen changes in velocity, accuracy, and ES.

It's likely that the 215's wouldn't put your moderate load in a high pressure state, but I would recommend that you back off a couple of grains to test them anyway. I have tried using magnum primers in my 308 using Varget, and seen changes in velocity, accuracy, and ES.

Were the changes noticeable, good or bad? Been thinking of trying mag primers on my 280AI - using 58.5 gr of H4831sc. Have always used Fed 210M.

I have experienced Federal Primers to be very accurate and consistent. You cannot go wrong with them, but I agree you have to lower the load first and work up the load as to tune the load to the primer.

Were the changes noticeable, good or bad? Been thinking of trying mag primers on my 280AI - using 58.5 gr of H4831sc. Have always used Fed 210M.

I got slightly larger groups and higher velocity with the 215's with my 308. ES was slightly higher as well. I wouldn't Aasume this to be the case with all loads though.

You state your current loads are already below or at starting level, In that case I would load with current levels and adjust from there. If any current loads show pressure signs then of course you would drop down and work back up.

Thanks guys.

With any other rifle cartridge I wouldn't even ask. I'd reduce and work back up.

However, the load data for the 7.62x54r is so varied that I flat don't know.

According to Hodgdon, the starting load for 180 grain bullets is 43.0 grains. I'm 0.5 above that with a lighter (174 grain) bullet.

With the 150 grain bullets, they list a starting load of 47 grains.

I'm loading 2 grains less than that as my standard load, 45 grains.

This is why I'm not 100% sure that I need to back off unless precision suffers.

Thanks again,

Josh

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.