Forster Co-Ax wear plate issue?

Keep us posted on their reply. I have at least 2000 rounds through mine without any discernible marks. Are you running crimps really tight? Is there measurable resistance as a bullet is seated?
his looks pretty bad, mine isn't, you can just see some contact marks (pic above) is yours doing that?

Keep us posted on their reply. I have at least 2000 rounds through mine without any discernible marks. Are you running crimps really tight? Is there measurable resistance as a bullet is seated?

I run an expander mandrel in all of my casings and seating is typically easy. This plate is very malliable which i also find upsetting. I can easily twist and bend it with my fingers. I was playing with it a moment ago since I've concluded it is ruined at this point. Also I don't crimp.

his looks pretty bad, mine isn't, you can just see some contact marks (pic above) is yours doing that?
Mine is visible (very slightly, like yours), but can't feel it with a fingernail. Agreed that his looks pretty rough. Hence my question on crimp/resistance.

I run an expander mandrel in all of my casings and seating is typically easy. This plate is very malliable which i also find upsetting. I can easily twist and bend it with my fingers. I was playing with it a moment ago since I've concluded it is ruined at this point. Also I don't crimp.
Please post on Forster's comments when you connect with them. Would be good to get in front of this if it's an issue.

Just got off the phone with Forster. The gentleman is sending me a new one with a return envelop to send the damaged one back for evaluation. I asked for feedback once they receive it and know what may have happened and he agreed to do a follow up. He said they have been unable to get the original material and this is the first issue they've heard of with the new material. He said they've got over 6000 of them out there as of right now. I'll update if and when I get more information.

This could be from trying to "cam over" while resizing. With the ram at the top, the resize die has to be adjusted no farther down than just touching the plate.
Ive been camming over on mine for many years and the plate looks brand new

How thick is that plate? it looks to be about .050, is that a bushing in the center or is that just an indentation left from repeated sizing? that plate should have been hardened or stamped out of tempered sheet rolled stock, it also shows a lot of wear where it is clamped, for brass to do that much damage it shows that the material is not suitable for what application.
l to would like to hear what they have to say.

How thick is that plate? it looks to be about .050, is that a bushing in the center or is that just an indentation left from repeated sizing? that plate should have been hardened or stamped out of tempered sheet rolled stock, it also shows a lot of wear where it is clamped, for brass to do that much damage it shows that the material is not suitable for what application.
l to would like to hear what they have to say.

The guy I spoke with said they were made by stamping, in a past tense, which makes me think they may not be such now. It measures .034" on the micrometer which is kind of an odd number but its uniform on all four corners about 3/8" in from the edge.

The guy I spoke with said they were made by stamping, in a past tense, which makes me think they may not be such now. It measures .034" on the micrometer which is kind of an odd number but its uniform on all four corners about 3/8" in from the edge.
Thin flat stock and sheet steel are usually measured in gauge .034 is 20 gauge +-.002, l worked with heat treating and plating at one time or l had made parts that needed to be hardened after stamping for strength and wearability.
There seems to be a trend going on in the last two years blaming the blame on the supply chain, what happened to the in-house QC?
That part is made by blanket stamping from steel rolls.
You can test the new part with a file, run a file on the edge of the old part and use the same file on the new part if the new part was improved (harder) you will feel the difference, if they feel the same get a spear plate.

Something isn't right, I don't know what it is but something's not right. I have literally thousands and likely tens of thousands of rounds on my Co-Ax and I'm on the original wear plate. My first guess would also be excessive cam over. I'm able to bump shoulders with no cam over at the bottom of the press stroke. I set my dies to just lightly touch the plate and that typically give more than enough shoulder bump.

The poster that linked the jaws was linking to their relatively new captured set of jaws so you don't have to disassemble/reassemble when changing case head sizes. I've recently converted to this style case holders.

Something isn't right, I don't know what it is but something's not right. I have literally thousands and likely tens of thousands of rounds on my Co-Ax and I'm on the original wear plate. My first guess would also be excessive cam over. I'm able to bump shoulders with no cam over at the bottom of the press stroke. I set my dies to just lightly touch the plate and that typically give more than enough shoulder bump.

The poster that linked the jaws was linking to their relatively new captured set of jaws so you don't have to disassemble/reassemble when changing case head sizes. I've recently converted to this style case holders.
I agree. Mine's old, and the only wear I have is the bluing is worn around where the case heads sit.

Recent Posts