Forster Co-Ax wear plate issue?

TheDeicide

I bought a new Co-Ax about 6 months ago and the wear plate under the shell holder is all buggered up with indentations from sizing. Is this a normal thing with only 1500 or so rounds? I didn't think much of it until I smashed a case neck into the end of the expander because the case was leaning over. I've sized about 1-1200 pieces of of 223/556 range brass heavily lubricated with 12:1 lanolin/alcohol, and probably 2-300 pieces of 28 Nosler and 30-06 based cartridges.

It would be awesome if they offered a harder version of the plate. Are there aftermarket ones that are harder? Actually I'm not even sure these plates have any hardness of substance to them.

This could be from trying to "cam over" while resizing. With the ram at the top, the resize die has to be adjusted no farther down than just touching the plate.

These products are what I use.

I'm referring to the plate under that.

I've got between 1000 and 1200 rounds thru mine, does it look worse than this?

image.jpg

That's interesting… have you contacted Forster about the issue? That seems pretty significant on yours, on mine I can run my fingernail over it and not really feel it, but as you can see from the photo it shows some wear where the case head contacts it….

The replacement plates aren't very expensive, but still I wouldn't think they would wear out in under 2000 rounds. You can definitely see on mine the two different case sizes that I use the most, with the two rings. I never looked or noticed that until you posted the thread…

The replacement plates aren't very expensive, but still I wouldn't think they would wear out in under 2000 rounds. You can definitely see on mine the two different case sizes that I use the most, with the two rings. I never looked or noticed that until you posted the thread…

yeah they are $6 but I can only find them at Grafs and they charge $13 S&H which is awesome when buying bullets, but sucks for this purpose.

It's still a great press, and I probably wouldn't have even thought to look had you not posted it. It's only a $5 part but maybe someone offers a stainless version…. Good luck!

I plan to reach out to them tomorrow. I'm pretty disappointed in this after all the hype and waiting to get my hands on one of these.
Keep us posted on their reply. I have at least 2000 rounds through mine without any discernible marks. Are you running crimps really tight? Is there measurable resistance as a bullet is seated?

Recent Posts