For the 6.5x284 guys

Varmint Hunter

Mike Bryant has just shipped my new 6.5x284 TN rifle. It wears a 30" Lilja fluted barrel with an 8" twist.

I've got a set of Redding Comp Bushing Neck Dies and am ready to go.

Lapua cases have been turned and prepped. I've got H4350 and H4831SC, as well as many other powders on hand. Bought Sierra 142 HPBT's, Hornady 140 A'Max's & some Lapua 139gr Scenar's to get started with.

Anyone want to suggest some starting loads? In similar barrels, using similar bullets, do you find better accuracy with bullets just off the lands or loaded into the lands?

Yeah I know, every rifle is a different beast but I'm sure that there are some practices and loads that seem to work for many shooters.

[ QUOTE ]
Mike Bryant has just shipped my new 6.5x284 TN rifle. It wears a 30" Lilja fluted barrel with an 8" twist.

I've got a set of Redding Comp Bushing Neck Dies and am ready to go.

Lapua cases have been turned and prepped. I've got H4350 and H4831SC, as well as many other powders on hand. Bought Sierra 142 HPBT's, Hornady 140 A'Max's & some Lapua 139gr Scenar's to get started with.

Anyone want to suggest some starting loads? In similar barrels, using similar bullets, do you find better accuracy with bullets just off the lands or loaded into the lands?

Yeah I know, every rifle is a different beast but I'm sure that there are some practices and loads that seem to work for many shooters.

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, what is "TN" ???

second, start at 50 and work up with H4831SC and start at ~47.5 and work up with H4350.

FYI-- A-mazes are FREAKIN long--depending on your throat, i'd try them LAST cause they will probably be down in the powder.

YMMV,
JB

\"TN\"

The "TN" was for tight neck. Its a .290"

The chamber has been throated for the 142gr SMK bullet. I didn't realize that the 140gr A-Max's would present a problem.

This rifle was built for 1,000yd varmint shooting. The A-Max would have provided better terminal performance on small critters. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif However, I will use whatever bullet shoots best.

I've heard good things about the JLK bullet but was unable to get them at the time. They are said to be more frangible than the SMK's. Have not heard how the Bergers work on varmints.

Thanks for the input.

VH

Re: \"TN\"

gotcha /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

yep, mine was throated for 142's as well--a maxes arent even close.

IIRC, the bearing surface is about 0.065" longer than the 142.

this also hold true for Richards Graves Wildcat 142ULD

self-explanitory pic of the 3 i just mentioned:
DSC00331.jpg

YMMV,
JB

VH,
My six five two eighty-four is a .296" neck and reamed for Norma brass. It is throated for the 140 Berger Vld seated so the base of the bullet is at the top of the shoulder.
I too was worried about how well it would kill rockchucks/woodchucks at long range as I have seen 80 grain .224" Bergers just poke holes in varmints, but after shooting many chucks with the 140 Bergers now, I think it is a big enough bullet that it just whops 'em good! This chuck at 1508 yards lifted up about 12 inches in the air, and exploded in the chuck in fine fashion!
1508.jpg

I have derived a theory that a hollow point match bullet of above 110 grains has enough energy and momentum that it will blow up chucks almost like polymer tipped bullets.

My barrel is a 5 groove Pac-nor with an 8" twist and it is 30 1/2" long. My rifle liked every powder I tried, but I got the best velocity and SD with 50.5 grains of RL22. RL25 and N165 deserve honorable mentions as well.

There aren't many things about guns that are written in stone, but seating depth of VLD's is one of them. I have yet to see a gun shoot VLD's well that weren't jammed into the riflings somewhat. Mine are into the lands about .006".
good shooting, and have fun with one of the best calibers ever invented! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Varmint Hunter

I'm shooting a 5C Broughton 28",in this weather 25 deg. my load is 52.0 of 4831sc 2950-2960 fps with a 142 SMK. 12 off

49.5 of H4350 also shows good signs at 2940fps

I've got a 6.5-284 with a 26" Lilja, 1 in 8 as well. Best loads are with H4831 at around 46-46.5 grs with the bullets ( 140 gr A-Maxs) loaded with the base of the bullet at the base of the neck. Nice tight shooting load, gives me quarter to sub quarter MOA all day.

Goodgrouper,

NICE SHOT! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif And I thought that elk shot was a loooong shot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I'll be posting some new images as soon as the spring returns.

Appreciate the input from all of you 6.5x284 guys.

VH

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts