For all you 30-06 owners, what bullet are you using?

200gr ELD-X / 53.4gr RL17 / 230 yd zero / 270yd point blank zero / Remington 700LR that has been worked over by a good gunsmith and former Ranger sniper. / I have only shot to about 600yd and have had a lot of success. It is obvious to me that I am the limiting factor. / I decided to use the same round for hog hunting in a light 30-06 Marlin that I can carry all day and is light enough for snap shots in heavy cover, Had less than 1 minute grouping at 100yds at the range last month.
A postscript on the choice of the 200 ELD-X ; The same sniper who worked the rifle had me shooting conventional Nosler boat tails at high velocity and told me to expect a need for a barrel change at about 1500 rds. I wanted better terminal performance at long range with a heavy hitter. It turns out that I get great accuracy, terminal performance, and will not sacrifice the original 30-06 expected barrel life.

Curious as to what folks are using. So many rifles seem to have a few bullets that are really popular - 300wm and the Berger 215, 6.5 PRC and the 156, etc. But the 30-06 doesn't seem to have that hugely popular favorite bullet. Since there is such a huge selection of bullets, I would expect to see answers all over the map.

I wanted to shoot the Nosler 180 BT but I would get a flier a third of the time, Switched to Berger 185 VLD and it went away. With N560 I'm getting 2877 with this bullet and it should easily dispatch anything smaller than an elk, and could work for elk as well although it won't be my primary elk gun.

What are other people shooting?
Just one because, I have only one 06 at this time, my 1903 C stock Springfield, so my choice is the 150gr. FMJ and the 150gr Nosler partition.

1903 C stock  011 - Copy.jpg

I have an old Springfield 03 with the original barrel marked-42- flaming bomb that I put in a new stock about 1988. I shot a few Hornady SP's and they shot okay. I went to the 165 grain Partitions and it is a great shooter out to about 400 yards, as far as I have shot it. Also, it shoots the
165grn Ballistic Tips within 1" of the Partitions and I use both now. I have taken elk, deer and pigs with the Partitions and Deer, pigs and a couple of black buck doe on a ranch in TX with the Ballistic Tips.
Mike

Curious as to what folks are using. So many rifles seem to have a few bullets that are really popular - 300wm and the Berger 215, 6.5 PRC and the 156, etc. But the 30-06 doesn't seem to have that hugely popular favorite bullet. Since there is such a huge selection of bullets, I would expect to see answers all over the map.

I wanted to shoot the Nosler 180 BT but I would get a flier a third of the time, Switched to Berger 185 VLD and it went away. With N560 I'm getting 2877 with this bullet and it should easily dispatch anything smaller than an elk, and could work for elk as well although it won't be my primary elk gun.

180 Nosler Partitions

165 ttsx

I have long been a round nosed bullet fan. My 3 bullets are Hornady 180 gr RN, 220 gr RN, Lyman #311299 207 gr with lube and gas check.

Shot a vintage match this weekend using 155 Noslers and 20 gr 2400. Accurate and pleasant to shoot, not like the 200 SMK over 52 4350. Used a 03-A3.

168 TTSX
56-57.5 grains H4350 depending on rifle.
.030 off of lands
2750-2900FPS depending on rifle.
If you have a 30-06 that won't shoot a 168 TTSX with somewhere between 56 & 57.5 grains H4350, chances are its likely to not shoot anything well. 85% of 30'06's I've loaded for have shot this combo lights out.
Sweet spot is usually 56.5-57.0 grains.
It's worked in something like 15 of 18 rifles I've tried it. From $3000 semi customs to 55 year old factory REM 700's

Hi

I am new here (from Sweden - always use 30.06 ;), but Your question was interesting so my choose is handloads of
A Barnes LRX 175 grain (tuff controlled expansion) moose
B Hornady ELD-X 178 grain ( more exact - less weight retention) red deer
C Nosler Accubond (LR) long range 190 grain - a bit more tricky to get very good loads

"The Swedish Meat hunter"

Recent Posts