Followup: issues with Sig Kilo rangefinder

left handed gun

Sig Kilo 2400BDX rangefinder stopped ranging past about 400-500 yards, max.

Otherwise seemed OK. It had been a pampered safe queen. No drops, no rattling internal parts, optics seemed crisp and clear.

But it was NOT a battery issue, and frankly, customer service at Sig didn't think it was that either. Ia sked before I shipped it back.
And I tried out a new, rather expensive battery.

The brick and mortar place I bought it would not give me a return, even for store credit, which was all I asked.
Less than a year old, and other than its ranging issues, you could have put it back on the shelf. Wasn't a scratch on it.
My point is, I did not try it out, then choose to return it. Draw your own conclusions about brick and mortar stores. If they won't take back defective merchandise that clearly has not been abused, they aren't much use to me. Better to deal with Eurooptics.

Now to Sig's response. They gave me a return authorization, I only had to buy a shipping box. Now, I've just gotten word they are sending me something back.
Hoping it is a new unit. But if they send it back and it works, and stays working, that will work for me. They were pretty responsive.

Here's the thing-- I'm not bashing Sig. I have a P365 9mm. I'd bet my paycheck I could take it out and empty every clip I have without issue.
But suppose I had booked the hunt of my dreams and I wanted to use this rangefinder. Then I find out it is not working. While that did not happen here, it could have. My advice to people on this forum would be, if they were in that situation. maybe buy a spare. Or go with much higher dollar range finding binocs. Swaros. Zeiss. Upper end of Vortex line. Of course, that is many, many times the cost of a rangefinder in this price range. But for folks who don't live out west, or for any number of reasons can't book a hunt every season, might be worth it.

Others can weigh in on what they would use.

Sig used to be, I believe, a European based maker of predominately firearms.
They've branched out a lot in their current ownership. Their ammo seems just fine. I don't have a lot of their firearms, but the one I have is great.
But their optics, I can't truthfully endorse. Something that saw very light and gentle use should not have failed.
And judging by other posts, that have managed to not be deleted, mine is not the first one to have issues.

Sig sent me a new, upgraded unit, Kilo 5K, maybe because they are phasing out the 2400. So yeah, their customer service seems pretty good.

I have to get the new one to a place with longer sight planes and see what it will do. Ranges out to 400-500 yards at my place, which the other one had quit doing. The glass in it is fairly good for the price. Consistent with maybe a non-Razor Vortex product, or non-Gold ring Leupold.